Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! V18 With Office 2016 - Anyone else having issues with Mail Merge ?

Re: Act! V18 With Office 2016 - Anyone else having issues with Mail Merge ? - Update

Thanks, Gary. I shall try that; Outlook does in fact close in mere seconds. I tried unplugging from the router but it didn't make any difference.
Administrator

Re: Act! V18 With Office 2016 - Anyone else having issues with Mail Merge ? - Update

In this case, it might be worth running an Office repair.
Here's a Microsoft article on the procedure: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c...
Highlighted

Wow, Office 365 is one stubborn application. 

I tried the Repair as directed; it opened in exactly the same state and immediately crashed.

I finally managed to get it to run Offline and tried to delete the 25 Drafts (Outlook is still trying to Send just 21). They all remained, but they were also in the Trash folder. Clearing the Trash folder made no difference.

I then totally uninstalled Office 365, downloaded the installation file, installed the software, did a Restart as directed and again Outlook opened in exactly the same state. WTH, Microsoft?!

Is there any way to use the ACT! email in V18? 

I am quickly running out of time here; I have 500 former attendees to invite to our annual prostate cancer awareness event....

Administrator

[ Edited ]

You can use Act email in v18, although I wouldn't recommend sending a mail merge to 500 people though it. It is really only useful for legacy applications.
Have you considered using Act emarketing? An emarketing platform like this is purpose built to send large amounts of mail without using up your system resources or going through your own mail system. Generally a better option for sending more than a handful of emails to a group of contacts.

Yes, from the reading that I've done on the subject, the ACT! Mail doesn't seem too useful.

eMarketing is a little out of our league as a small not-for-profit.

In the meantime, my Outlook is now completely unusable.  Google does not come up with any methods for removing Office 365 Home Edition Outlook accounts and mailboxes. All links refer to Exchange Server and its administrative tools.  Not my environment.

I've been in the computer business for decades and have never been in a mess like this.

Administrator

Act! emarketing is included in v18 for free. You could tweak one of the stock templates to your liking and quickly send out your email campaign.

We have a series of short tutorial videos in our Act! emarketing Training Library to help you understand the platform.

Unfortunately, I can't advise much around the Outlook issue you're experiencing. I would suggest looking on some Microsoft specific communities for further assistance.

Bronze Elite Contributor

dorseyjf - I would strongly second Gary's suggestion to use Act! -Marketing.  It's easy and quick to set up your free 500-email account.

Then use the videos to learn how to easily edit/change one of the many templates and get your vital email message out there with Opens and Clicks feedback.

A couple of hours getting this done will reassure you and be a good investment for the future with low cost additional Contacts in addition to the initial free 500 ones.

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

I'm just using ACT! Pro, David. Again, we are a not-for-profit with a shoestring budget.
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Act! emarketing is also included for free in Act Pro v18. There's no extra charges or software needed to send emails to 500 contacts a month.