Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act / Talkworks Pro from years ago

Tuned Listener

Act / Talkworks Pro from years ago

I believe I owned the original version of Act.  This goes back before Symantec purchased the program.  When Symantec had it, prior to SAGE - they had a cool program called Talkworks Pro.  I loved this combination.

I used this setup to make all the phone calls from a desktop.  Talkworks dialed the call, popped up the contact screen, had a contact related caller id, note windows, etc.  Phone rings - contact pops up.

I'm now trying to setup a dialer system with my Toshiba notebook.  I want to get as much of the calling system back that I orginally paid for - and now have lost.  Act also worked seamlessly with Winfax - also a Symantec product.  And now with each upgrade of ACT, I'm ending up with less.  Yes, winfax works but you need to purchase and continually purchase the fax module that lets you fax from within Act.  I'm not happy having to do this all the time - or maybe I'm just missing something.

Any help on this would be great!  How do I setup a standard phone line to work with my notebook?  Will the standard phone line caller id the Act contact for me, if I pick it up?  Do I have to keep paying ASDS everytime I want to fax within Act?  My cost per fax is incredible now with two ASDS required upgrades.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act / Talkworks Pro from years ago

Here's a bit of the History - http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2008/12/history-of-act.html

Talkworks was and add-on to WinFAX. It was dropped long before they dropped WinFAX

To get most of the Talkworks features, try itDial - http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/56/1

ACT! didn't work with WinFAX... Symantec actualy wrote stuff into WinFAX to connect to ACT!

Because WinFAX doesn't support the new operating systems, it's no-longer the best option.

FaxAdmin can work with the built in fax software in the operating systems - http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/40/1

Tuned Listener

Actually, I had Talkworks Pro, Winfax, all integrated to work with Act.  Don't know who wrote what ... all I know is that it all worked in combination.  I could use Winfax to fax inside Act.

I do have Faxadmin - but everytime I upgrade Act - it requires me to upgrade Faxadmin - I do hate the 'plugin" system.

MLM

Platinum Elite Contributor

College Funding wrote:

Actually, I had Talkworks Pro, Winfax, all integrated to work with Act.  Don't know who wrote what ... all I know is that it all worked in combination.  I could use Winfax to fax inside Act.

I do have Faxadmin - but everytime I upgrade Act - it requires me to upgrade Faxadmin - I do hate the 'plugin" system.

MLM

When Symantec owned both products, the WinFAX guys wrote the integration. Now that Talkworks and WinFAX are no-longer products available for sale and neither are supported on current operating systems, there's no advantage in trying to support them.

As to the upgrades, the same was true of upgrading versions of ACT! (2-6) or the OS requiring upgrades to WinFAX from 7.0 through to 10.03 - this has nothing to do with Plugins, it's a question of products being written for a certain integration. If symantec were still developing WinFA, they'd also be charging for upgrades.