Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Standard 2009 V 11 Pauses After Opening Database

Tuned Listener

Act Standard 2009 V 11 Pauses After Opening Database

About 15 seconds after opening an Act 2009 local database containing 18K records, Act pauses for 20-30 seconds and then resumes. After resuming the response time is acceptable. The pause does not occur on a peer-to-peer networked PC opening the same database but it does occur on the local PC whether anyone else has the db open or not.

Clicking anywhere during the pause displays an hourglass. A second click displays Not Responding in the Act Title Bar. Attempting to close Act launches the Windows XP End Program window. The user of the PC hosting the db complains that Act has hung and exits via Windows End Program.

Act is running on a Dell Vostro E220 dual CPU 2.20 GHz with 2GB RAM and 7,500 RPM drive. PC has Office 2003, AVG Antivirus, Windows Firewall, Acronis True Image.

So, is the pause to be expected or are there ways to work around it -- other than telling the user to leave Act open or to wander off to get a cup of coffee if opening Act?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act Standard 2009 V 11 Pauses After Opening Database

I'm not sure what may be causing the problem but I have reason to suspect the operating system because I have a similar problem, not with the ACT! program, but when I am trying to navagate through the file structure in any of the Office program Open or Save As dialog boxes
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Re: Act Standard 2009 V 11 Pauses After Opening Database

I thought it might be Act talking to Outlook 2003, but I'm seeing the same pause on a pc without Outlook, when I copy the 18K record Act database there via synch. I've also noticed that Outlook 2003 can pause on a pc not running Act, creating a similar feel.

Also, the pause occurs after opening the Act 2009 demo, but it is so short it's barely noticable. I wonder if Act is scanning for alerts (or do they call them alarms) or something like that.