Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Standard 2007 -> Act Corporate 2010 Upgrade Question

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act Standard 2007 -> Act Corporate 2010 Upgrade Question

I'm the acting System Administrator for a small company.  I confess right now to being a relatively inexperienced user of both Act! and SQL.  As it stands we have around 9 users/workstations running Act! Standard 2007.  Additionally there is a WindowsXP virtual machine running an additional copy which acts as the server that the 9 client sync with.  All clients and the server were installed in the usual way from the Act! discs, which installs MS SQL Express 2005.

Due to a need for more users and also a desire to use the web-based front-end, we wish to upgrade to Act! 2010 Corporate Edition.  And this is where my confusion comes in.  I understnad that 2010 Corp comes in 2 flavors, one that uses SQL Express and one that uses SQL Server 2005.  My questions are as follows:

-Under what circumstances would you wish to use the SQL Edition?  A certain user threshold, a number of contacts?

-Won't the full SQL Edition use more system resources than the SQL Express version?

-If I opt for the full SQL Edition, should I upgrade all client and server to that edition, or is it only useful on the server?

-If I opt for the full SQL Edition, will performing the standard Act! 2010 upgrade handle upgrading Act and SQL, as well as upgrading the databases or must something else be done manually?

-Is it preferable to sync all clients, backup server database, then uninstall Act! & SQL from all machines and install from scratch, creating new remote databases?

I realize this is alot of questions, but I'd certainly appreciate any insight, as I'm well outtuv my depth at this juncture.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author BadServo
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act Standard 2007 -> Act Corporate 2010 Upgrade Question

I'll take a shot at some answers

-Under what circumstances would you wish to use the SQL Edition?  A certain user threshold, a number of contacts?

This may answer several of your questions. There isn't any program difference between the ACT! premium using Sequel Express and Sequel Standard. The difference is in Sequel itself. Database are size limited in the Express version and the overall processor performance is limited in the Express version. In fact the ACT! version with the Standard Sequel version must be installed on a box with a server OS otherwise the Sequel Express is installed.

-Won't the full SQL Edition use more system resources than the SQL Express version?

Yes but it will respond faster to user requirements. 

-If I opt for the full SQL Edition, should I upgrade all client and server to that edition, or is it only useful on the server?

For this question you should discuss your options directly with and ACT! Certified Consultant. 

-If I opt for the full SQL Edition, will performing the standard Act! 2010 upgrade handle upgrading Act and SQL, as well as upgrading the databases or must something else be done manually?

Nothing special is required, the database will convert. 

-Is it preferable to sync all clients, backup server database, then uninstall Act! & SQL from all machines and install from scratch, creating new remote databases?

Yes 

A final note you do need to move to the ACT! premium because of the 10-user limitation. That same limitation meanes you will have to move to a box with a server OS.  

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author BadServo
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I'll take a shot at some answers

This may answer several of your questions. There isn't any program difference between the ACT! premium using Sequel Express and Sequel Standard. The difference is in Sequel itself. Database are size limited in the Express version and the overall processor performance is limited in the Express version. In fact the ACT! version with the Standard Sequel version must be installed on a box with a server OS otherwise the Sequel Express is installed.

Yes but it will respond faster to user requirements. 

For this question you should discuss your options directly with and ACT! Certified Consultant. 

Nothing special is required, the database will convert. 

Yes 

A final note you do need to move to the ACT! premium because of the 10-user limitation. That same limitation meanes you will have to move to a box with a server OS.  

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much for takign the time to respond to my queries.  You've certainly gone a long way towards addressing my concerns.  If I might trouble you for a few further clarifications though:

You state that I need to migrate to a higher Act! version due to the 10-user limitation.  I'd come to the same conclusion.  However, you mention that I will need a server-class OS to do so.  I'm somewhat uncertain why.  Is this a SQL limitation or an Act limitation?  I assume you mean that only the server needs to be runnning Windows Server, as opposed ot each client as well.

I may be aking some very incorrect asusmptions though.  As it stands, the clients all operate off they're own local database and only periodically sync with the server since I'm using standard.  With Premium/Corp is this not the model used?  i.e. do the clients interact directly with the server?

Thanks again.

Message Edited by BadServo on 11-11-2009 02:49 PM

You had mentioned that you were using EP Pro as the server and it has a 10-user limit, only the server needs the server OS.

Syncing can still be done. The main reason you would need to create new RDBs is that fact that you would have a new server. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Ah, I see.  That makes sense.  Thanks again for the assistance.  I will likely order 15 copies of Act! 2010 Corporate with SQL, that way all my bases should eb covered.  I already have another suitable Virtual Machine running Windows Server that should be fine for the sync server.

Cheers.

Please check your private messages, upper right corner of the screen.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129