Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Service Host disables computer

Copper Super Contributor

Act Service Host disables computer

[ Edited ]

One of my computers suddenly began to respond exceedingly slowly to all commands--so slowly in fact that it became disfunctional.  After some research, I determined that the problem is that a service called Act.Service.host was eating hitting my hard disk more than all other programs combined and, together with the SQL server was using up virtually all of my 6 gigs of RAM.  This happened even though I hadn't even started my Act Pro since the last time the computer started up.

I was able to address the problem temporarily by going into MSCONFIG and stopping the service from starting.

But, since I use Act, I need a better solution.

What should I do?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act Service Host disables computer

Background: 'Act.Server.host.exe' is the service supporting the Universal Search feature (Search option in upper right hand corner of Sage ACT!). 

How large is your attachments folder?

And how many files does the folder contain?

(*databasename*-database file/attachments)

Since you state that this 'suddenly began', you may want to try deleting the existing idex files for the service and then have ACT! recreate them.  Here is an article that will show the location and folder to delete: KB Article 28454

Starting the service and then opening the database will initiate the recreation of the folder.  You may want to wait until you are leaving for lunch or done for the day before starting this process.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your answer.  I think I may have identified the problem.  Let me take a moment and explain.  I discovered in the Knowledgebase that the the Act Server Host service has something to do with syncing databases.  

That gave me a clue as I have had a lot of trouble with syncing because the sync process would say that all 2500 records had to be synced when in fact I had only changed a handful.  As part of the procedure of debugging this issue, I would create a new client database and then unpack and restore it on the impacted computer.  (I eventually learned that guilty culprit was the Connect routine, which reset the sync.  When I uninstalled that routine, the problem disappeared.)  

However, since I did not bother to uninstall or detach those other databases, I had about 7 attached databases.  I hypothesized that, maybe, as long as they are attached, they keep using the SQL server and the Act Service Host.  This morning, I tried detaching them, and that seemed to help, although I didn't have much time to check this out it before I went for the office.  I'll post more here if I learn more or discover that detaching the old databases did not solve the problem.

First; Thank you for posting your findings! And second; I commend you on your troubleshooting!

Certainly the more databases it has to track, the more work it will be doing. Definitely keep us updated. Thanks
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Super Contributor

Just confirm that detaching the databases did solve the problem.  I think this might be worthy of a short Knowledgebase article as my computer was completely disabled to the point where I feared that I would have to do a complete reinstall.

Thanks for the update! And an article is now underway!
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Super Contributor

My guess is that good Act practice should include detaching/deleting all unusued databases as we now understand  that any attached database will degregate computer performance, paticularly since there is no real downside to merely detaching them, as reattaching them is a trivial exercise.

Hi Greg and contributors,

I know it is a while since this has been discussed, but I wanted to ask the following:

Providing we do not use Universal Search, is there any reason we cannot or should not turn off the Act.Server.Host service on the Server?

Having this on has made our server unusable in terms of memory eating etc. as per other contributors - turning it off as a service is literally the only thing that has stopped the issue.

For clarity - is Universal Search all that the Act Service Host/ Act.server.host.exe runs?

ACT seems to be working perfectly well without this service switched on and I hope I can keep it like this...

Copper Super Contributor

You are correct.  It probably doesn't matter.  But more fundamentally, the correct solution is to go in to Actdiag and unattach any databases that you are not using.  It's easy to do and really does speed up performance dramatically, which is what you need.

Roger

Good news!

However we only have two databases which are both in current and constant use - so detaching them would be the worst thing we could do!

Any other views welcome, although just turning it off does appear to have resolved a serious amount of pain!