Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Scheduler requires UAC permission to start

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Act Scheduler requires UAC permission to start

How to enable automatic start of the Act! scheduler without changing the PC's UAC level?

DETAILS

On Windows 10 Act V21 Update 7 A PC restart causes Act! scheduled backups to fail unless a user clicks OK at the UAC prompt. For an unattended PC that is the Act DB server, this is an issue given the frequency of Windows Updates that automatically restart the PC.

Also, the Act menu Tools > Act! Scheduler fails to launch "C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\Act.Scheduler.UI.exe", Launching Act.Scheduler.UI.exe outside Act requires a UAC OK.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author docEdoc
‎05-17-2019 04:15 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act Scheduler requires UAC permission to start

Hello,

the request after the restart is just the ui (user interface) of the scheduler so its just the window where you could setup the tasks.

You dont need this to run tasks which are allready setup.

I had a few customer which also got confused by this message so i just deleted the scheduler.ui.exe from autostart.

The tasks get executed by a service (Act! Scheduler) and it should run as the local system user who should have enough rights to run the tasks.

So my guess would be that the start type of this service is no autmaticly or it´s the wrong user account to start the service.

Here is also a link to msdn forum where you get a answer to how to open services link.

Hope this could help you.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author docEdoc
‎05-17-2019 04:15 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Hello,

the request after the restart is just the ui (user interface) of the scheduler so its just the window where you could setup the tasks.

You dont need this to run tasks which are allready setup.

I had a few customer which also got confused by this message so i just deleted the scheduler.ui.exe from autostart.

The tasks get executed by a service (Act! Scheduler) and it should run as the local system user who should have enough rights to run the tasks.

So my guess would be that the start type of this service is no autmaticly or it´s the wrong user account to start the service.

Here is also a link to msdn forum where you get a answer to how to open services link.

Hope this could help you.

Tuned Listener

Thanks for the tip.

This issue is marked as solved, but I don't see a solution here. The Act.Scheduler.UI.exe is not in the list of Windows services, only the parent service Act.Scheduler.exe. That service does in fact need to start automatically with Windows, unless you are not scheduling any ACT tasks. So what was the solution?

Copper Super Contributor

Hello,

maybe i´ve explained it a bit unclear.

So the Scheduler Windows Service is performing tasks like backup or maintance.

Act.Scheduler.Ui.exe: (This isn´t a service)

This is only the "User Interface" to setup the tasks sometimes it get added to the autostart so you will get a admin request every start.

If you delete this .exe from the autostart you wont get the messages but the service will still perform the already created tasks.

So you only have to open the UI if you want to make changes or add new tasks.

With Windows 7 you could configure the autostart using "msconfig" if you use Windows 10 you could configure them it at the taskmanager.

Highlighted

Thank you, dgeiger, that's very helpful. I was looking for it in services.msc, which as you say is the wrong place. Task Manager's Startup tab was the spot.