Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Scheduler not showing up in Tools

Copper Contributor

Act! Scheduler not showing up in Tools

I went to set up a scheduled backup of the database on Act! 2008 (on Win XP).  When I clicked on Tools I expected to see Act! Scheduler listed, like I see on my Act! 2009 install on another computer, but it was not there.  Is Act! 2008 different, or is there something wrong with this installation?

Thanks

Re: Act! Scheduler not showing up in Tools

Prior to ACT! 2009, the ACT! Scheduler was only available in the Premium product.
Copper Contributor

OK thanks.

Is there any way to have a backup done automatically, perhaps using Windows XP task scheduler? 

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Create an ACT10Backup.bat file in Notepad as follows:

REM - Change the SET Paramaters as appropriate for your system
SET ACTSourceFolder="C:\Act\Database"
SET ACTDestinationFolder="D:\Backups\Act\Database"
SET XcopyOptions=/M /E /C /H /O /Y /I
REM
REM - Stop ACT Service
NET STOP SQLAGENT$ACT7
NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7
REM
REM - Perform copy
XCOPY %ACTSourceFolder% %ACTDestinationFolder% %XcopyOptions%
REM
REM - Restart ACT Service
NET START MSSQL$ACT7
NET START SQLAGENT$ACT7
END

With the SQL engine stopped, you can use anything to copy/backup the database and supplemental files. You could replace the XCOPY with a command line ZIP or other back-up utility.

Then run the BAT file from the Windows scheduler
Copper Contributor

OK thanks, that looks like it should do it, even though I'm not too familiar with .bat files and xcopy.

But what will happen if Act! is running and the services are shut down like that.  Doesn't Act! have some other services that are running also?  Will Act! just close completely, or will it be left in some half closed state?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Vincenzo wrote:

OK thanks, that looks like it should do it, even though I'm not too familiar with .bat files and xcopy.

But what will happen if Act! is running and the services are shut down like that.  Doesn't Act! have some other services that are running also?  Will Act! just close completely, or will it be left in some half closed state?

Thanks

If I set it up for a user, I get the scheduler torun at night... if ACT! is running, it shouldn't be an issue although it may generate an error if a user tries to do something while the services are stopped and maybe slow when they start up.

Copper Contributor

OK I will give it try.

Thanks