Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Scheduler issue

Act! Scheduler issue

I set up Act Scheduler to backup my database every weekday at 4:00PM. Inside of Act Scheduler I can see that it was successfully set up. However, for some reason it does not actually back up. I made sure I'm checking the proper destination folder.

Any idea why it will not backup despite being seemingly properly set up? Thanks for any help.

Matt

Administrator

Re: Act! Scheduler issue

Hi Matt,

What version of Act! and Windows are you using?

Have you followed all the steps in the following Knowledgebase article?
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19218/

Yes, that is exactly what I had already done.

I figured out how to solve the problem and I have a very good idea of what caused it. This past Saturday is when I initially setup the auto backup, the same way I've been doing it for over five years dating back to when I was using the 2010 version of ACT (I recently switched to ACT 17, Pro). I set it for every weekday, Mon-Fri, at 4:00pm. Shortly after that, I received an error message I'd never seen before every time I attempted to start the ACT scheduler. It said: 

“Object Reference not set to an Instance of an object”

And the scheduler would no longer open for me. Through trouble shooting the issue on my own I found that if I went to the ACT Scheduler icon in the bottom right of my screen, which I previously did not know existed, I could start the scheduler again (I'm using Windows 10 FYI). No more error message. I have no idea what caused the message in the first place and still don't know what it means.

However, yesterday (Monday), I checked to make sure the backup was working just to be safe. Even though I had properly set the database to backup up before the error message ever occurred, it would not backup. So a moment ago I decided to delete that backup task inside of Scheduler and then I recreated it. I chose an earlier time than 4 so that I wouldn't have to see if it would work. The database backup did begin working right away. So while I'm no tech expert, it seems as though the backup task I initially created inside of scheduler before I received the error message became corrupt somehow as a result of that error, and so it would not backup even though I set it up correctly.

Instances like this make me hate technology. I have to say this software is a true nightmare. I don't enjoy the cryptic error messages, and I really don't appreciate customer service telling me they'll charge me $40 for 30 days of customer service if I want help over the phone. How about create software that isn't glitchy? That would be nice. What a novel idea.

Anyway, just thought I'd post what happened here in case it ends up helping somebody. 

Administrator

Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. but thanks for coming back and explaining your solution.