Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Running on Vista 64-Bit

Act Running on Vista 64-Bit

Hello,

I know this is probably already a topic in 20 different posts but I have kind of a unique questions pertaining to it.  I recently purchased a Vista machine which is 64-bit (of course) and can't run Act on it, I keep getting an error when I try to launch it.  After reading Act can't run on a 64-bit machine I got a little upset but figured maybe there was an alternative.  I don't know if there is anything anyone has found to be the best bet short of installing another OS, but if you did please let me know.

I installed Virtual PC 2007 and installed Linux Ubuntu on my Vista machine in hopes maybe that would work.  Will Act run on Ubuntu and if so, is there any specific way it should be loaded?

What does everyone recommend?

-Mike

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act Running on Vista 64-Bit

ACT! uses MS SQL server, therefore will only run under a Windows operating system.

As MS requires a different edition of SQL Server for 64-bit operating systems, the current version of ACT! will not run on 64-bit Vista till this is changed. Sage have said it's being worked on... probably for version 11.

You could install a 32-bit OS (XP or Vista) under VirtualPC... that should work

Stupid question, but would I need a full installation disk of XP or can I just get an upgrade and somehow go off of Vista with it?  It's really silly how I have to invest 100+$ in another OS just to run one program...
Platinum Elite Contributor

You do need a full XP install.

Yes, Microsoft requires different versions of their own software to run under their different operating systems