Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Pro version 16 email hyperlinks causing act to close

Act Pro version 16 email hyperlinks causing act to close

I have been using ACT for many years. For the past few months when I click on an email link in the contact I get an error message... "ACT! has stopped working... A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." (is there a way to get more info on this error?)

When I reopen ACT I sometimes am able to use the links and it works for a few contacts... but inevitably the by the second or third click... I get the message and act stops working. I have used this feature for SEVERAL years on 2 other versions without issue. My other users are on Windows 7 and are not reporting the problem.

Here is my info:

Act! Pro Version 16.1.207.0, Hot Fix 1

Windows 8.1 Pro (latest version)

Office 2013-outlook is installed on my local machine

The ACT DB is installed on our internal 1 GB LAN

All other parts of ACT seem to be working fine. I am able to use the links for web-sites without issue.

Thank you,

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Act Pro version 16 email hyperlinks causing act to close

Could be a problem with your address book.  A bad email address will cause that issue.  I have a program I sell to quickly find badly constructed email addresses.  Contact me offline if you're interested.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

That is not it... these are emails that have been in the DB for years and again... not having problems on the win 7 machines.

Plus I know the email is constructed correctly... it is my email.

Thank you for your effort.

Copper Elite Contributor

I saw this after going from 16.0 to 16.1 Premium.  It is intermittant and I have not tried to look for a solution yet.  I dont think HF fixed the problem, but seems to be happening less often lately.

Phillip R. Price
Automated Sales Tools, LLC
http://www.automatedsalestools.com
Phone: 1-866-915-9399
Silver Super Contributor

What I meant was that you have a contact that you added recently that has a bad email address and it is causing problems with Outlook because of the address book integration.  Quite a few ACT! users have solved this sort of problem by running my utility and fixing the bad email addresses they found.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

So you are implying that a single bad email address among 16K contacts in my DB could cause my software to not work as designed and that I would need to purchase a utility to fix it? That sounds like poorly written code that should be corrected by the software manufacturer.

Again, thank you for your effort.

I'm also having this same problem.  This is the only thread I can find in the community that has the same details.  I am using:

Act! Pro Version 16.3.11.0, Hot Fix 2

Win 8.1

Office 2013 15.0.4701.1002

Clicking on any email link in ACT causes the dreaded ACT has stopped working dialog to pop up.  Everything else works - sync to outlook, address book, integration services....

This thread doesn't have a happy ending.  Can anyone provide that?

Many thanks

Nope... no help here. Same problem since I first put this problem out there. I am not even sure anyone looks at this board. They just want to sell new licenses every year vs fix something that should have worked in the first place?>!

Silver Super Contributor

For the record my program fixes an issue with Outlook not with Act!.  Act! dutifully passes the invalid email addresses that you put in it to Outlook and Outlook can't handle them so my program creates a lookup of contacts with bad email addresses so you can remove them.  I don't know if that is the problem in this case though.  There are other posts about this issue.  The issue seems to be a rights issue.  The user can't read or write to a folder or can't read or write from the registry.  Launching Act! and Outlook with elevated privileges has fixed the problem for some users but it has created other issues as well.

This isn't a Swiftpage support forum.  If you want support Swiftpage has several options for support in which case they would work with you to resolve the issue.  This forum is for users to help other users.  Some of us Act! Certified Consultants answer posts on here even though we don't get paid for it simply because we are big Act! fans and like to see other users happy.  There is a limit to the amount of free support we will provide and debugging this issue would be time consuming and isn't the sort of thing that I usually do for free.

I am sorry to hear that you are still having the issue though.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

This it not a swiftpage issue. If it was I would not have posted here.

I have used several versions of ACT this is our third upgrade here at this company.

This happens when you are in a contact and simply select the hyperlinked email address. That singluar address is perfect and works fine when you cut and paste it into outlook. Also sometimes when you restart act it works and then it just stops working.

if you select a group of contacts then select them all and try to send an email to the group it never works for me. Again the emails all work fine if I cut and paste them into outlook.

Nobody asked you to do it for free. The post in this forum is simply to ask if anyone has experienced the same issue and if there is a fix for it.