Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Pro v18.2 Update 6 Email History Not Recording

Act! Pro v18.2 Update 6 Email History Not Recording

Hello,

Act! Pro v18.2 Update 6

Outlook 2016 MSO 16.0.8229.8026 32-bit

Application no longer crashes when clicking an email address in Act!, but the history for emails is not being recorded.

The Act.Outlook.Service.exe does not start automatically with the computer.  I can manually start it, but it does not appear in the task tray.  I can see that it is running in the Task Manager after a manual start but it is not recording emails.

Please help. Thanks!

Administrator

Re: Act! Pro v18.2 Update 6 Email History Not Recording

Hi judiclements,

Please could you let us know what version of Windows you are using?

Please try emptying the email recording History Queue Folder, incase there is a problematic email trying to attach to Act! that is stopping the service for working. Just open a Run command by pressing your Windows Key+R, then entering %AppData%\ACT\ACT Data\HistoryQueue
The folder that opens should contain two other folders. Delete everything else apart from these two folders.
Now try starting the service and recording a email.

If the problems persist, I would recommend switching your Microsoft Office update channel to Deferred. You can find more info about this in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38802

I am running Windows 10.  Do the instructions you provided apply to Windows 10?

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Thanks judiclements. Yes they do.

Copper Contributor

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the heck is the point of me paying for ACT! if it constantly does not work and I am now at 135 hours of fixing the darn thing since November, 2016.

YET AGAIN, the darn thing is not recording emails in history!

WHY IS THIS A-OK FINE, PEACHY KEEN and HUNKY DORY!

And, NO, I do not want to call into tech support to speak to someone that I cannnot understand, again, only NOT to solve the problem.

This is darn ridiculous.

Do you people at Swiftpage buy cars expecting your car not to work as advertised?  Do you like hearing ad nauseam, "Thank you for for calling the service department"

What is it going to take so that I can use ACT and not fix the darn thing every day?

Copper Contributor

Re: ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I have to turn off my computer for emails to show up in history.

How are we to manage customers if we are forced to turn off our computers to see email history?

Is this how you people at Swiftpage work?  You are managing thousands of customers but when you need  to go reference history then you all know and expect to turn off your computer so that you can refer to the history you did with the client.

This is darn stupid.

Administrator

Hi princeedwardh,

I can certainly understand your frustration. Please believe me when I say we don't consider the fact that customers like yourself are repeatedly running into issues, to be A-OK, or fine, certainly not peachy keen, and far from hunky dory.

We are aware of ongoing issues with Act!'s Outlook integration when being used with recent updates to Microsoft Office 2016. We're working on these as a priority right now. Our support teams have been gathering information from other affected customer and have been developing workarounds for some of these issues.

You mention that you have to reboot your PC for the email history to attach. I can say with certainty that this is not an acceptable workaround that we would recommend to a customer, but that information is very useful in terms of troubleshooting your issue.

The Act.Outlook.Service that runs in task manager is set to start on startup. This is what records the history from Outlook into Act!. It sounds like this is somehow becoming stopped or is failing, until it has been restarted during the PC reboot.

One thing we could try and do, is restart that service the next time you notice it has stopped. If the history is recorded again after it's restarted, then we would know for sure that this is the problem. Finding out why it was stopping or failing in the first place would require some more in-depth troubleshooting. When you notice it is not recording history, try the following, and let us know the outcome.

1. Open task manager, and look for Act.Outlook.Service. End this task
  2. Follow the steps I posted above to empty the email recording History Queue Folder.
  3. Go to your Act! install directly (where your Act! shortcut points to, and where Act!.exe is)
  4. In the same folder, find Act.Outlook.Service.exe, and double click it to run it.
  5. Confirm that it's started again in task manager.
  6. Try Quick Attaching an email from Outlook to Act!
Copper Contributor

OK.  I shall do as you say.  Thank You, with sincerity.

Note:  I am approaching 140 hours of MY time resolving ACT issues since November, 2016.  ACT is wearing me down.  I am exhausted.  I am weary. Swiftpage has beat me down.

But, there's a lot of fight left in me.  I am like a dog on a bone.  I do not quite.  I intend to get Swiftpage to fix these issues, once and for all.

Please reference my current, unresolved ACT issue:  Event Log - Desktop History Queue Provider

So, for both of these issues, Swiftpage wants to cast blame to Outlook.  I do understand that all software vendors want to blame other software vendors for failure.  It is a game dating back to the 80's.  Software vendors abandon their customers, "It ain't our problem.  Oh, your subscription payment is due."

Having identified this blame game of Swiftpage towards Microsoft, I turned off Office 365 updates with the last version that an Act update was certified to work with Outlook.  Apparently, I was stupid thinking that I had a brilliant idea here: update ACT, as instructed, using the version of Office 365 that I am told to use, AND do not update Office 365 unless I get prime source verification from Swiftpage that ACT, and all of its features, have been tested against the Office 365 update prior to release.  Stupid me.

What is the version of Office 365 certified by Swiftpage, such that all of ACT's features work with all of Outlook's features as represented by Swiftpage to the public, e.g., Swiftpage's Testing Department has issued a 100% Seal of Approval?

My Current Environment Is:

• Act! Premium Version 19.2.146.0, Update 3

• Windows 10
    • Click-to-Run Update Support - Successfully installed on 07/13/2017
    • 2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4025342) - Successfully installed on 07/11/2017
  • Office 365 – Office Update - This product will not be updated.  Version 16.0.4229.1024

By the way, I think you are a great guy.  You know your stuff.  You are most professional.  You are highly knowledgeable.  However, you cannot understand my frustration.  You receive a salary every two weeks.  You do not create your own income.  I do.  You do not have the requisite qualifications to understand the frustration of a business owner.  You do not have the stress of a business owner.  I speculate that you come into work, answer some questions and you go home, without a care in the world.  My speculation could be grossly wrong.  GUESS WHAT?  I woke up at 2:00 AM today because of the stress that I have as a business owner, with ACT adding to that stress, everyday.  It is now 10:17 PM and I am still at it.  I am behind in my work for many reasons, but one reason, is fighting the ACT technical problem du jour.  When I am fighting ACT issues, I do not earn money for: 1) the mortgage  2) the car payment  3) health insurance premiums  4) software subscription costs, like ACT  5) college tuition for 2 children  6) food  7) utilities  8) etc.              I implemented ACT in November 2016, not because it was optional, not because it would be a "nice to have", not so that I can fix it, darn near every day.  I implemented ACT to execute against a well designed marketing plan so that I could earn money, so that I could Manage my Client Relationships.  I have spent more time with ACT's technical support than on executing my marketing plan, AND I DID NOT BARGAIN FOR THIS EXPERIENCE.   I truly don't believe that anyone at ACT cares about the customer, and ACT has allowed competitors to enter into its market space, and thrive.  If you people could get your ACT together (pun intended) you could trounce these web based CRMs, but as it is, people, like me, are wearing down and we are going to be forced to abandon ACT for an inferior CRM, but at least one that does work, is reliable and does not consternate us every day.

Lastly, I am venting here.  And it can be ignored.  Or maybe someone at Swiftpage is bright enough to think, "This guy Ed is reading us the Riot ACT, and justifiably so.  He is a good customer, telling us where we need to improve."

Copper Contributor

Seems to have worked for me, thanks!

Copper Contributor

I have some questions:

1) How do you manage to ACT functionality that is prone to stop working with no notification?

2) How do you efficiently identify all the emails that were not recorded in ACT History and get them put into ACT History?

3) Do you expect this to be a FINAL RESOLUTION to the issue?

4) Do you expect in the future that some other culprit will result in the failure of email not be recorded into ACT History?