Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Pro v16 Hot-Fix 5 connect with PHP to read/write

Act! Pro v16 Hot-Fix 5 connect with PHP to read/write

Hello everyone,

At the office, we use Act! Pro v16, Hot-Fix 5 on a server.

Now they've asked me to build a website which shows the companies stored in Act!

I've searched a lot on this forums to find anything usefull, but unfortunately I'm having a hard time understanding. Can anyone help me with this or push me in the right direction?

I'm planning to create the connection with PHP, since the website is made with PHP and MySQL.

When you need more information, please ask. I'll be happy to tell.

Thanks in advance!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! Pro v16 Hot-Fix 5 connect with PHP to read/write

Bronze Elite Contributor

broodjekipkorn wrote:

Hello everyone,

At the office, we use Act! Pro v16, Hot-Fix 5 on a server.

Now they've asked me to build a website which shows the companies stored in Act!

Do you mean that the website needs to be able to display Act! companies based on a company search from the website? Like you would search a phone directory for a company and display the results?  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Gleo, thanks for your reply. 

Actually, it's going to be a system for a digital registration form. My colleagues can login to that system, click on a company (this company list will come out of Act!) and open a digital registration form. All information which is in Act! (of that company) will be automatically filled in with data from Act!

That's the first start. Is it possible to achieve that? 

PS. I'm sorry for my English if it's not that good. ;-)

Bronze Elite Contributor

Is it data from the Act! company record fields only, for example address and phone data, or is it also history and notes that is required? Having pulled the data, into the web form what happens to it ?     

Graeme Leo

Exact steps of what need to happen:

1. Colleague logs in my backoffice website system
2. Selects company out of list which comes from Act!
3. Registration form with info from contact will be auto filled in
4. Colleague clicks on send and in Act! it should say that the registration form is send with link for user (company contactperson).
5. User opens link (which also is stored in Act!), changes info where needed and clicks on Save. That info is NOT auto stored in Act! because of safety reasons, so my colleagues should do that for themselves.

Do you understand it a little bit? I don't think it's very clear what I mean (it's hard to explain).
Bronze Elite Contributor

I'm going to presume that this is some form of contact detail update mechanism for ACT! where interaction is via a website.  

It isn't clear if you are dealing with information from an ACT! contact record or an ACT! company record. If it is an ACT! contact record then that is simplest and most readily supported process. It could be done with some additions to our Smart Forms web form add-on

Refer http://www.xactsoftware.co.nz/smart-forms  

Graeme Leo

That's exactly what it is. I've just asked my colleague about the contacts or companies, and he tells me it's contacts.

Is it doable via PHP or something? Maybe REST? I have no idea, but I'm not interested in add-ons I should buy. That's exactly what we don't want. I just need a push in the right direction on how to connect to the Act! Pro database.

I've red something about OLED or such, but I don't understand how that works. Maybe help with that, or how I can do it any other way?

No add-ons please. It has to be done otherwise.
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

broodjekipkorn wrote:
That's exactly what it is. I've just asked my colleague about the contacts or companies, and he tells me it's contacts.

Is it doable via PHP or something? Maybe REST? I have no idea, but I'm not interested in add-ons I should buy. That's exactly what we don't want. I just need a push in the right direction on how to connect to the Act! Pro database.

I've red something about OLED or such, but I don't understand how that works. Maybe help with that, or how I can do it any other way?

No add-ons please. It has to be done otherwise.

Hi,

If you're not going to go down the add-on route then the only other viable option that I can see is to create your own solution.

Depending on your knowledge there are several routes to explore:

1. Act! has an SDK that allows you to read/write the database. It's currently a .NET based framework so you'd probably want to use ASP for your web form. You can get started by downloading the SDK here: https://www.act.com/partners/development-partner-program/sdk/

There is a web API in the works that will allow you to interact with the database using RESTful, but there is no ETA on this release.

2. Act! is an SQL database so you can read/write the tables like any other database. This should be rather easy in PHP.

3. You can use other connection methods such as OLE/DB or ODBC in much the same way as SQL. I'm not experienced with these so I can't offer much advice.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Sam.

Unfortunately I no longer work for Swiftpage International. Please do not send any queries to this account.
Bronze Elite Contributor

broodjekipkorn wrote:
"That's exactly what it is...... Is it doable via PHP or something? Maybe REST? I have no idea, but I'm not interested in add-ons I should buy. That's exactly what we don't want. I just need a push in the right direction on how to connect to the Act! Pro database.....  No add-ons please. It has to be done otherwise."

So a commercialy tested and supported outcome is not what the customer wants and people have many hours to donate to the project at little or no return.  That has to be the presumption.  While an API would be a good option and SP are in the process of creating one, you advise that you are using ACT! Pro, however you would need ACT! Premium as the API will be a Web based API and that won't work with Pro. Smiley Frustrated 

Graeme Leo