Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Pro! Won't allow me to update contacts

Act Pro! Won't allow me to update contacts

Act! Pro Version 18.0.501.0, Hot Fix 5

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help - I'm trying to get the database updated with information we hold on a CSV file. I want to check for duplicates, and add any new information to the system. However, when I am trying to update and choosing 'do not update' for any existing information, it either ignores that totally and creates a new record for each and every contact on the CSV (duplicate or not) or, if I choose confirm each match, not only is it tedious and time-consuming, but I also get an error around half way through. 

The error says 'Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click 'Quit' the application will close immediately.' 

Clicking Continue doesn't work. 

Has anyone had this happen to them? Not sure how to fix this - extremely annoying!! 

Dawn 

Re: Act Pro! Won't allow me to update contacts

Hi Dawn,

If you have not read this article KB 26828 - How to Import Contact Data from an Excel®, Comma Delimited (CSV), or Text Delimited (TXT)... It has some good general practices to follow.

I would recommend checking you CSV for any Comma's and duplicate field names as they can cause the import to be knocked over one line.

Can I also confirm the fields that you are duplicate checking on as there is a defect where 'First name & Surname' will not match and cause duplicates 

does the unhandled exception error message only occur during the confirming each match?

Hi Dan,

Thanks, was sent this sheet previously so have followed this through. I've checked for commas, there are only two field names (email and name) so there are no duplicates. 

I'm searching on email first, then contact name (full name). 

Yep - when I run it without confirm match it's just adding everything - even though I have instructed it not to! 

Dawn 

How many contacts are you importing? If it is quite a few would it be possible to create a spreadsheet of 10 and test to see if they merge.

If you are not already i would try a custom install just so that you can get a small preview of the information.

Could you also provide the settings that you have from contact... button from page 8 of 10 (Specify Merge options)

Bronze Elite Contributor

Can you also let us know which fields you are de-duping on. There is a known issue when using first and last names, I recommend Contact and Company.

Hi again,

The number of contacts in the file is 1162, however I would imagine the lions share would already be in the database. I am doing it on custom install to try and match up. 

I've attached the text that comes in when I specify the merge options. 

Thanks

Dawn 

Hi there, 

I am de-duping firstly on email, then on contact (which is the first and surname combined - I don't have a first and last name column on this). 

Thanks
Dawn 

I can't de-dupe on company as the email list doesn't capture this information. 

The Duplicate checking and Merge options appear to be fine and should not have any issue.

Can I confirm if you are importing a CSV or XLS/XLSX file? I would also like to know if you take a small amount of contacts from the list 10-20 and try and import does it appear to have the same problem?

If it does and continues to fail matching on duplicate checking could you create a new database and test importing the same file twice.

This will tell us if something maybe damaged in the main database.

Hi Dan,

It is a Microsoft Excel Comma Separated Values file. It does have the same problem with a smaller amount. I will try and create a new database...

Thanks

Dawn