Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Pro Version 18.0.501.0 : Cannot share database - There was a problem sharing/unsharing

Act Pro Version 18.0.501.0 : Cannot share database - There was a problem sharing/unsharing

Hi,

We have recently moved our users to a "new" server on which Act was installed. As the server utilised the same name/ip address as its predecessor we installed Act fresh and restored the databases from backup.

The server is running on Windows 2008 R2 64bit. Act was able to pick up the existing databases automatically and we can log in and view, edit records within the database. However we are unable to share the database with others users.

Each time we attempt to share the database we are met with the following error message:

There was a problem sharing/unsharing your ACT! database. The path is not of a legal form.

I have gone over the instructions in this KB:

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34146/~/error%3A-there-was-an-error-trying-to-share%2Funsh...

However it has no affect (and additionally the link in step 2 is not working), the path of the database is on the local server, on a local drive.

I have also been able to succesfully move the database to D:\Act without issue. However the problem appears to be its refusal to share.

Does anyone know what the error means?

Re: Act Pro Version 18.0.501.0 : Cannot share database - There was a problem sharing/unsharing

Hi david.hirst,

I would like to know how you moved the database to the new server from the options available. I believe the new server having the same name could potentially cause some issue.

I have provided the article below that has the steps to detach the database and have provided feedback on the article to be updated.

KB 14620 - How to detach an Act! database from the Microsoft SQL Server (ACT7) instance

Once the database is detached then delete the .pad file and open the database via the .ADF file by double clicking on it.

KB 38179 - How to open an Act! database using the .ADF file

It may also be worth sharing where the database is now stored IE: D:\Act 

Re: Act Pro Version 18.0.501.0 : Cannot share database - There was a problem sharing/unsharing

Hi Horn,

Thank you for responding. As mentioned we restored the database from a file backup to the new server, installed Act and on first run Act found the database.

I then used the Move method:

File -> Move Database -> Prepare and Complete a Move on this computer

To move it from its previous directory to D:\Act

I have followed both KB articles in your reply however I get the exact same error when I go to share the database.

Funnily enough I did some further testing by copying the database to a new copy.

File -> Save Copy As -> Create a copy of the database ->  Location = D:\Act, Database Name = Test

This created a new database which I could open and subsequently share without any problems.

I then closed Act and then stopped the Act Host service so I could remove the troublesome database (I copied to a random location out the way). I then went through the exact same process to copy the Test database and generate a new copy based on the original name. Once the copy was generated I then tried to share and encountered exactly the same error.

This suggests it does not like the name of the database (which makes no sense, its literally lower and upper case letters) or possibly there is a schema reference to the original name within SQL that is causing the error.

Out of curiosity what are you naming the database? I have seen issues where certain names are restricted IE: Database

Nickel Super Contributor

... QUESTION...   If you try to share the demo database... works..??

Demo Database is on the next path, then it might be a good idea to place the Main  database on the same path...

If you have the Firewall active, remember the exclusions CLICK

4.png

Best regards...   ( www.praxisol.com )

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com

@Horn
The database name is nothing special it is,

PTOnlineDB

If I make a copy of the original with any other name, I can share it. If I then make a copy of a working shareable database and name it to PTOnlineDB it falls over.

@juancarlos
Hi Juan, I am able to share and unshare the demo database no problem and for testing I even disabled the firewall entirely.

I created a database on my own system with the same name and was able to share without issue, so the name is not restricted.

There must be something in SQL which is deciding this database name is problematic. 

I would like to check if the datastore location can be changed for this database.

You can do this from Actdiag > Database Details List > Highlight your database > Actions > Datastore Location > Change to Machine Name (Ensure the machine name is correct to the PC you are on)

Then test again.

Alternatively it could be worth using a slight variation of the name.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I think it is that the share name is already on the network from the previous database. You cannot have 2 share names the same. Try unsharring the database on the old server or change the name of you new database.

Hi Horn,

I checked the machine name/ip and they are correct. For now I am happy to just use the database under a new name.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Ch1p,

That is certainly a good thought. Whilst I am getting around the issue by using a copy under a different name I may well test your theory over the weekend just to see if that does explain the problem.

Cheers

David