Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Pro V20 cannot write email or mail merge

Accepted Solution Solved
gdp
Accepted Solution

Act Pro V20 cannot write email or mail merge

I'm using Outlook 2016 and specifically upgraded to V20 because it's supported. But I cannot use any of the email functions within Act. "write email" does nothing,, mail merge window pops up "merging" and times out after a few minutes.  Email system setup has been done.  I have the same issue on the main computer and 2 remote databases.  All have Windows 10, Act Pro V20 Update 5 or 6.  All the same issue.  Thanks for any help you can give me.  Really trying to get a mail merge out asap.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author gdp
‎02-12-2018 05:38 AM
Administrator

Re: Act Pro V20 cannot write email or mail merge

Are you getting any error messages at any point in the process?

Could you try running Act! as an administrator (right click > run as admin) and do the same for Outlook? This should help rule out any permissions based issues.

I'd also recommend recreating the 'normal.dot' files that Act! uses as the basis for the mail merge/email send feature. You'll find steps on doing this here:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38692

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author gdp
‎02-12-2018 05:38 AM
Administrator

Are you getting any error messages at any point in the process?

Could you try running Act! as an administrator (right click > run as admin) and do the same for Outlook? This should help rule out any permissions based issues.

I'd also recommend recreating the 'normal.dot' files that Act! uses as the basis for the mail merge/email send feature. You'll find steps on doing this here:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38692
gdp

Thanks for the help, I did all you said and have to always open both act and outlook as administrator.  Do you know why I have to do that and is there something I can do to fix it?  Outlook is a pain to open as admin each time.  Thanks for the help.

Nickel Contributor

(Posted 3 times already in some other threads...)

Short comment from my side on the ever recurring recommendation to run ACT and/or Outlook "As Admin" in various places in the community and the knowledge base:

This is NOT a permanent solution to any problem allegedly tackled by this "recommendation". It is dangerous and causes lots of problems following the decision to accept this as a solution. Losing the search function is amongst the lesser ones. There is almost always the same reason for the "necessity" to do this: ACT has not been installed with proper "rights" before.

Uninstall and re-install using a signed-on local Admin and run the setups "as Administrator".

NEVER elevate a user manually when doing an installation and NEVER forget to run a setup "as Admin".

I simply do an uninstall/reinstall following a.m. rules whenever  I come across a problem that seems to be solvable by running ACT/Outlook "as Admin" AND THE PROBLEMS GO AWAY.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de