Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Pro 2011

Act Pro 2011

I was using Vista and Act Pro 2011 and decided to upgrade to Windows 8 , I have a backup hard drive so I had everything backed up todate!. Everything was fine until I tried to load what i thought was a Windows 8 version of the  driver for my 2 screens!!Bad mistake, I could not get 8 to restart again and when I checked the harddrive and found  that everything seemed to be backed up I decided to revert to VIsta andre-install everything. All the programs have been OK with the exception of Act Pro 2011

When I try to create a new database in the program it says": Cannot create local database, SQL is not installed locally". When I try to use one of the backed up databases it says"

"The database XXX could not be accessed. In order to access this  database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or server.

Press F1 for troubleshooting guide"- F1 does not work. The databases have been transferred  from the backup drive to a directory in C drive. I did stop the firewall software on the computer and tried it gain  but nothing changed from before!

What is happening and how do I resolve this problem?

sheric1

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act Pro 2011

Have you checked to see if there is an ACT instance of the SQL server and is it running. those messages are typical of the SQL server not running.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy, thanks for your reponse but i have no idea how to do that? Can you explain,please?Frics1

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Frics1,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

You can check for the presence of the instance by:
1 - click Windows Start > enter 'Services.msc' in Search field > press ENTER
2 - in Services window scroll to locate 'SQL Server (ACT7)'
If not present, SQL Server is not installed correctly on the computer.

If present, but not 'Started' status, right click it and select 'Start'.
Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

There is an SQL Server Browser-which does not start at all although i have tried repeatedly (it actually changes from blank to start )  but nothing happens apparently and an SQL Server VSS-xxx which says starts automatically . But still cannot get anything when starting Sage Act Pro 2011!  Now what do I have to do? Frics1

Platinum Super Contributor

This indicates that the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 program did not install correctly.  If there are no other programs on the computer using SQL Server, I recommend uninstalling all SQL Server components through the control panel (Add or Remove Programs, or Programs and Functions - depending on operating system).  Reboot the computer, then use the following article to manually install SQL Server creating the ACT7 instance: KB Article 26994

Hopefully it will install correctly, but if the manual installation fails, it may provide additional error messages indicating the cause of the failure. 

Greg Martin
Sage