Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Pro 2011 won't start after inputting the serial number after 30 trial period

Act Pro 2011 won't start after inputting the serial number after 30 trial period

[ Edited ]

Computer says it is doing a logon but never starts the program and eventually says "ACT not responding".  Worked fine in the 30 day trial period and now it will not start up after I regisetering with ACT.  Anyone have this problem?  Any suggestions to fix?

Thank you,

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act Pro 2011 won't start after inputting the serial number after 30 trial period

Hello ACTVHF,

Welcome to the ACT! Community!

If this is a Windows Vista, 7, or 8 operating system, try right clicking the Sage ACT! icon and select 'Run as administrator'.

If not successful, please provide the operating system of your computer.

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: Act Pro 2011 won't start after inputting the serial number after 30 trial period

It will run if I use the administrator function. 

It is running on Windows 7.

Do I need to just enter a new password?

Thank you,

Ok, the cause of the issue is the restrictions imposed by the Windows UAC (User Access Control) function.  Entering a new password won't affect it, but you can set the ACT! program to 'always run as administrator'.  To do this:

1. close ACT!

2. right-click ACT! icon > select Properties

3. click Compatibility tab

4. enable option at bottom of tab for 'Always run as administrator'

5. click OK

Open ACT! normally (double-click ACT! icon) to test

Another option is to disable UAC...

Greg Martin
Sage

I do not want this computer to run in adminstrator mode.  I have five people that access the same data.

How would I disable the UAC?

Thank you,

Here is an article with instructions for disabling UAC: KB Article 25665

Greg Martin
Sage

Looks like maybe I should not disable the UAC function.  Why has this issue come up after running in the trial mode for 30 days without any issues.  Is there something else that I can do besides running in adminstrator mode or disabling UAC?

Thank you,

Having registered the product, ACT! now has to have access to certain files (registration files) - UAC is blocking that access. Setting ACT! to 'run as administrator' allows it access to the files without having to disable the UAC function.

Setting the program to 'run as administrator' only provides the program additional authority, it doesn't give users of the database additional authority within the operating system.

These are the only options we are aware of.
Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

Thank you.  I run it as adminstrator.  You've been very helpful.

Dale