Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Pro 2011 crashed computer and transfer

Act Pro 2011 crashed computer and transfer

I crashed my computer where I installed Act Pro 2011.  I was able to recover all the files (I think) in the ACT for Windows folder, and copied and  transferred that folder to a new computer.  I have the registration serial number.  But I don't want to download another version and start over. Tried clicking on ACT11 exe but nothing happened.  Help!!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act Pro 2011 crashed computer and transfer

Hello KurtD,

Welcome to the ACT! Community!

Copying the program files for ACT! is not sufficient to install the program.  Please see your Private Notes

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg-

I got the software installed on my new computer after the second try (my computer is Windows 7 and the first attempt wanted to install an XP version without a proper SP 3).  It took my serial number and appears to be registered fine. Can use the demo db.  Now how to save and transfer my db on the other machine?  I have read about saving and restoring the db but have not tried.  Is it straightforward - saving on my old computer and copying onto a stick and then transferring to the new computer?  Any special issues to be aware of?

Thanks, Kurt

Re: Act Pro 2011

[ Edited ]

Hello Wayne,

To install, just do a new installation on your new machine. You can then restore a backup of your database (File > Restore > Database > Restore As).

Platinum Super Contributor

Here is an article with detailed instructions for using the Back Up and Restore functions: KB Article 19211

It's easier than the instructions look Smiley Happy

It is: Create back up, move to new computer with memory stick, use Restore function

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg-

For some reason I had a hard time creating a backup in safe mode on the old computer, but I was able to copy the dbase and associated files on a stick, which I dropped into my new computer and pointed the software to that dbase, and it worked!

Thanks, Kurt