Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Pro 2011 SP1 "index -1 does not have a value"

Act Pro 2011 SP1 "index -1 does not have a value"

[ Edited ]

Hello Act! Community. A customer of mine is running Act 2011 Pro. Just recently a problem cropped up where upon starting Act the registration wizard reappears, usually after a reboot. I followed the article on stopping the Protexis service, rename the .sys files, etc., and Act returns to normal. So, today, I updated the PC from SP1 HF1 to HF6. Not sure if the registration issue is fixed but now we have a new one. After Act login, the user now gets the "Index -1 does not have a value."

From all the articles I've read, the only solution is to roll back to a previous hot fix by uninstalling and reinstalling Act, and restoring the db to a backup. I've tried the db reindex/repair to no avail. I suppose I could buy them an upgrade to 2012 but that's not what I should have to do.

Might anyone have some work-arounds or other solutions to solve the "index -1..." issue?

Thanks for any help!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act Pro 2011 SP1 "index -1 does not have a value"

Hello Matty-CT,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

You are correct with the options of going back to an earlier (pre Hot Fix 5) build of ACT!, or upgrading to 2012 - those will get rid of the error message.  
Note: Uninstalling and reinstalling up to 2011 SP1 HF4 will not require restoring the database from a backup.  HF4 should be able to open the database.    KB Article 28366 - Hot Fix 4

The issue itself only occurs in databases that at one time were in the V6 format.  While untested, another option that may work is to create a new database > import the data from the original database into the new one > use the new database as the main db.  Of course this could be a lot of work if the original database has a lot of customization or remote databases.

While the message can certainly be disconcerting, there is no damage to the database associated with the message... so, the final option is to click OK and continue working.

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: Act Pro 2011 SP1 "index -1 does not have a value"

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the advice. Unless the customer has additional problems, I think that clicking the "ok" button and continuing on with her day is the easiest and best solution!

Thanks again,

Matt