Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Pro 19 - Gmail history record error- "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation"

Act Pro 19 - Gmail history record error- "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation"

Hi ACT community!

I'm kind of at a loss. I've been using ACT for the past 7 years, and recently upgraded to ACT Pro 18. 

Running on Windows 7. 64 bit. 

In the past two years, I moved over to a Google account and away from Outlook, though I do continue to use Outlook for mail merges. 

For the most part, the Google integration has been solid.

(though for the life of me I've *NEVER* been able to get the scheduled integration working. I always have to run it manually.)

I only use it to record email history. No calendar or contact integration. 

Somewhat recently, I'll start my computer and the gmail integration app doesn't load. 

I'll go tools>Integrate with Google>Record history, and nothing happens. 

I'll go into the integration preferences and click OK, opening the prompt to integrate, and I get "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

I've attached my log file. It should show the error being thrown 3x at the bottom (just wanted to be clear I wasn't misreading it) 

Additional info: I'm running MalwareBytes and Avast antivirus. 

I recently *completely wiped my laptop and started from scratch because my outlook MM integrations were starting to throw weird errors, and I just assumed my registry was getting weird. I also tried upgrading to ACT 19. 

The problem went away, then came back 3 days later. (google, not outlook. Outlook seems fine now). I have tried running as an administrator. 

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

My ability to use my database is entirely centered around my email integration. 

Cheers,

Spencer 

Administrator

Re: Act Pro 19 - Gmail history record error- "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation"

Hi Spencer,

We have a general Knowledgebase article on the "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" error, however your particular case is unusual, and I think it's likely outside of the scope of the suggestions in this article.

I'm going to pass this thread over to a colleague to try and gather some further suggestions.

Re: Act Pro 19 - Gmail history record error- "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation"

Thanks for this!

I actually was ready to say "I've been through all of the relevant KB articles I can find" but this one actually has some new things for me to try.

I'll run through them, and I greatly appreciate you escalating my issue. 

Just wanted to update that a clean install of ACT fixed it. We'll see for how long anyway Smiley Happy Considering it only takes about half an hour to reinstall the whole thing, it *is a workaround for now. 

Administrator

Hi Spencer,

Thanks for letting us know how you fixed the problem. Please let us know if the issue returns.
Highlighted

Just wanted to update that the problem is something I can work around for now, but it does pop up to an annoying degree. 

Essentially,  here is the current state of my ACT functionality with both Google integration and Outlook 2007:

1) I can run google integration once (manually, scheduled events never fire) with success. After that it will throw a fail. I can close it out in the tray and restart from Tools>IIntegrate with Google>...Preferences>OK. From there it usually works, though sometimes I need to do a full reboot. 

2) I can run outlook mail merges, but I regularly have an issue where it will throw "Object reference not set to instance of an object". for every single record I try to mail merge with a lockup and 3 minute wait between each error. I can usually close my DB and reset the machine and it works on next try. 

Mind you this is all with a clean install on a Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 running Windows 7

I've tried running DB maintenance. I don't necessarily mind the whole janky work around thing, but I'm kind of nervous this is indicative of some bigger problem on the horizon like my DB corrupting. I do backup about 1x a month, but still it's kind of alarming. 

Administrator

Hi Spencer,

Regarding the Google integration, when you say it will fail after the first attempt, do you mean the error "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" occurs?

Could you test to see if the error occurs in any other databases, i.e. the demo DB?

For the mail merge object reference error, take a look at the solutions in this Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38198

Please note that Outlook 2007 is no longer supported with Act! v19, so the error could be due to this incompatibility.,