Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Pro 18 and error message "act object reference not set to an instance of an object" when trying to email

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act! Pro 18 and error message "act object reference not set to an instance of an object" when trying to email

Hi!

I have Act! Pro Version 18.1.103.0, Update 2

I created an email template.

Every time I try to email, I receive the message "act object reference not set to an instance of an object"

I have been unable to find a solution.

Please help!

Thanks,

Mindy

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mindy Belcher
‎09-28-2016 12:55 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! Pro 18 and error message "act object reference not set to an instance of an object" when trying to email

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mindy Belcher
‎09-28-2016 12:55 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! Pro 18 and error message "act object reference not set to an instance of an object" when trying to email

I have the same problem when trying to send email from a contact or a group. I went to the knowledgebase article referenced. It only described up to Windows 7 (I have Windows 10). I followed the same basic steps in Method 2 and still have the same error. Act! Pro Version 18.2.53.0, Update 6

Administrator

Hi there,

One thing to try would be running Act! as an administrator (Close Act! > Right Click on the Act! Icon > Run as Administrator). I'd recommend doing this with outlook as well - if this resolves the problem you can set these programs to always 'run as admin' by going to properties > compatibility tab in that same right click menu.

If this doesn't work however, I'd recommend checking every step in the article below:

KB 38196 - Error: “Object reference not set to an instance of an object” when clicking a contact ema...

Hope this helps!

Copper Elite Contributor

Short comment from my side on the ever recurring recommendation to run ACT and/or Outlook "As Admin" in various places in the community and the knowledge base:

This is NOT a permanent solution to any problem allegedly tackled by this "recommendation". It is dangerous ans causes lots of problems following the decision to accept this as a solution. Losing the search function is amongst the lesser ones. There is almost always the same reason for the "necessity" to do this: ACT has not been installed with proper "rights" before.

Uninstall and re-install using a signed-on local Admin and run the setups "as Administrator".

NEVER elevate a user manually when doing an installation and NEVER forget to run a setup "as Admin".

I simply do an uninstall/reinstall following a.m. rules whenever  I come across a problem that seems to be solvable by running ACT/Outlook "as Admin" AND THE PROBLEMS GO AWAY.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de