Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act.Outlook.Sync.exe won't close at shutdown

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act.Outlook.Sync.exe won't close at shutdown

My computer will not shutdown until I close the ACT! Sync service with Outlook by using CTL-ALT-DEL and End Task. I can't close it by using the right-click menu since that either won't appear before shutdown or else it appears but won't let me click on any selections.  I generally close both ACT! and Outlook along with everything else and wait several minutes before shutting down the computer to avoid interfering with any tasks that may still be occurring.

Otherwise everything seems to operate normally in both ACT! and Outlook.

I have a Core 2 Duo Dell with 2GB memory and Windows XP SP3.

ACT! Pro 2011 has Hot FIX 2 applied.

If I close the ACT! Sync service before running ACT! and Outlook and then shutdown the computer, then it does so and very quickly. So it appears that after ACT! and Outlook are running for a while, that the ACT! Sync Service becomes unable to close properly. Maybe there is some memory issue that is preventing that?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mikevv
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act.Outlook.Sync.exe won't close at shutdown

I never use the auto sync ... seen to many issues.

But, at very least in your case, make it only sync every hour or so would probably help

View solution in original post

All Replies

What version of Outlook?
Is ACT! 2011 13.0 +HF2 or 13.1 + HF2?

Do you have the sync service set to auto sync? How often?
Copper Contributor

I have Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2.

Yes, it is set to auto sync every 15 minutes between 8 am and 5 pm

Thanks,

Mike

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mike Lazarus,

Your question about the ACT! version numbers got me to thinking after I replied to you, so I went looking in the ACT! KnowledgeBase. I found Answer ID 27290 which indicates that I need ACT! 2011 Service Pack 1 (includes Hot Fix 1).  Then I can install ACT! 2011 SP1 Hot Fix 2. Too many Hot Fix 2's.

Hopefully that will fix the problem. That's probably what you would tell me after you saw my reply, correct?

Obviously,  ACT! Update within the program won't do this since it's these are major fixes, but it would be nice if Sage could at least somehow inform you of it's availability, or give you an explanation of what needs to be done, rather than just report that ACT! is up to date.

Also, do the dates of the Hot Fixes, Updates and Documentation on the SAGE ACT! Pro 2011 Product Downloads page look strange to you? How could documentation have been released on "8-26-2011",  or Hot Fix 2 for Canada have been released on "9-23-2020" ? Has Sage discovered the secret of time travel? Are these the same people producing the Hot fixes or has this been outsourced to the future?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

I am having a similar issue.  When I try to do a Windows Shut Down, I get an 'This program is not responding' message for 'Act.Outlook.Syn.'  My PC will not shut down unless I click 'End Now.'

I am running Win XP SP 3, Outlook 2007 SP2, and ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.1.111.0, Hotfix 1.

I have spent quite a while searching and I can't figure out how to download and apply a hotfix for my version of ACT!  Closest I found was for 2010.  Any help?

Copper Contributor

Both the the download file and the instructions are here:

http://download.act.com/support/downloads/Sage-ACT-Pro-2011-Product-Downloads.html

Don't ask me how I originally found it, but I saved it on my Favorites back when I downloaded Hot Fix 2 for SP1, which, by the way didn't fix the problem. Hopefully, Hot Fix 4 will do it. I've just been resigned to dealing with it every time I turn off the computer. We have another computer where the Juno program does the same thing.

Hotfix 4 worked!  This community sure has served me well so far!

Thanks!

Tuned Listener

I'm having the same issue with ACT! 2011 not closing at shutdown.Great to hear that Hotfix 4 resolves this issue. I'm based in Ireland but note that on the the Sage ACT! PRO downloads page referred , most of the service packs and hot fixes are relevant to the USA or Canada. Any idea if these Hot fixes  can be applied worldwide ?