Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act.Outlook.Service.exe Memory Issue

Copper Contributor

Act.Outlook.Service.exe Memory Issue

I have read about this service using up LOTS of memory.  I have read if you delete the files in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT For Windows 12\HistoryQueue the memory issue goes to "normal".

My question is has Sage fixed the memory issue?  It appears the routine they run may not close down their objects properly.  Hence, the program is being a memory hog!

OR is there a magical setting I am just not aware of yet?

Copper Contributor

Re: Act.Outlook.Service.exe Memory Issue

99 views of the above issue without any reply from the company or the moderator.

Tell me is Sage ever going to address this issue?

The server is always running showing the red x as the icon.  It never goes away and sucks up memory like nobody's business.  Today it consumed almost a gig of memory before I ended the process.

Copper Contributor

Just so everyone can see the error here it is.  If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  The object.reference appears to be a programming problem.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<outlookhistoryerror>
  <error type="LastError">
    <lastdatetime>8/18/2010 7:42:26 AM</lastdatetime>
    <firstdatetime>8/18/2010 7:42:26 AM</firstdatetime>
    <message>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Act.Outlook.Service.Desktop.EmailInfoHistoryHelper.RecordHistory(ActFramework framework, IEmailHistoryInfo historyInfo, IServiceProvider services)
   at Act.Outlook.Service.Desktop.HistoryRecorder.Record(IEmailHistoryInfo historyInfo)
   at Act.Outlook.Service.Shared.QueueManager.ProcessQueues()</message>
  </error>
  <error type="System.NullReferenceException">
    <firstdatetime>8/15/2010 6:43:38 PM</firstdatetime>
    <lastdatetime>8/18/2010 7:42:26 AM</lastdatetime>
    <message>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Act.Outlook.Service.Desktop.EmailInfoHistoryHelper.RecordHistory(ActFramework framework, IEmailHistoryInfo historyInfo, IServiceProvider services)
   at Act.Outlook.Service.Desktop.HistoryRecorder.Record(IEmailHistoryInfo historyInfo)
   at Act.Outlook.Service.Shared.QueueManager.ProcessQueues()</message>
    <count>3093</count>
  </error>
  <error type="Act.Framework.MetaData.SchemaLoadException">
    <firstdatetime>8/16/2010 12:22:01 PM</firstdatetime>
    <lastdatetime>8/16/2010 12:45:09 PM</lastdatetime>
    <message>Unable to retrieve schema metadata</message>
    <count>3</count>
  </error>
  <error type="Act.Data.LoaderException">
    <firstdatetime>8/16/2010 12:24:05 PM</firstdatetime>
    <lastdatetime>8/16/2010 1:04:43 PM</lastdatetime>
    <message>Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.</message>
    <count>37</count>
  </error>
  <error type="Act.Framework.MissingMasterDatabaseException">
    <firstdatetime>8/16/2010 12:48:30 PM</firstdatetime>
    <lastdatetime>8/16/2010 1:08:36 PM</lastdatetime>
    <message>Missing master database.</message>
    <count>5</count>
  </error>
  <error type="Act.Framework.SQLVersionException">
    <firstdatetime>8/16/2010 12:59:21 PM</firstdatetime>
    <lastdatetime>8/16/2010 1:06:57 PM</lastdatetime>
    <message>Error in the application.</message>
    <count>6</count>
  </error>
</outlookhistoryerror>

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello ct_state,

If the ACT! Outlook service is consuming memory, it usually indicates that there are emails that failed to attach, but the service is still trying to contunously attach them. We have addressed this issue in KB Article 26089 and also with the latest Hot Fix. There is also an open issue with emails not attaching when sent to an Outlook distrubition group. Details are KB Article26354.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

An answer.  Thank you for the reply.  Before reading your reply, I went and renamed the C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\ACT folder.

I then started Act up again.  Set up the email service and let it run.  So far, I have not had any memory issues as of 08/18/2010 at 2:15PM.  It has been running now for a few hours with the memory usage at 1,028k. 

Only time will tell now if the memory stays in check.  I will continue to monitor the error log and will put in place the article you suggested.

Your reply is appreciated!

Copper Contributor

I also noticed I did not have the HotFix 3 installed.  Now It has been installed on my system.

Is there a fix for this problem for Windows 7 (and Outlook 2007).  I have searched my hard drive for the historyqueue file, but there is not one.  Am I looking for the wrong file?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello patmcdga,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. To get to the HistoryQueue directory:

- Click your Windows Start button

- In the Search box on your start menu, type %appdata%

- Open the ACT folder, then the Act for Windows (version#) folder (2010 and prior) or the ACT Data (2011) folder.

- You should see the History Queue folder in here

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you very much for your help Greig.  Do I delete the contents in the folder or do I delete the whole folder?