Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act/Outlook Integration on a Windows Vista Machine

Act/Outlook Integration on a Windows Vista Machine

[ Edited ]

I've successfully set this up on XP machines (home & professional) without issue but don't seem to be able to achieve success on a Vista Business Machine.

The complication for the laptops as they are always used off-site is they must first connect to our server via our VPN connection.

The problem always comes when Outlook prompts to link itself to the Act Database as this is held on the server it cannot see the .pad file until the Vista machine authenticates itself and no prompt comes up for the authentication. On the XP machine it pops straight up, account credentials are applied and the relevant .pad file is accessible, linked and all is hunky dory.

Any advice please? Or should I call Sage direct?

Edit: To be clear its the adding address books part where the problems occur.

Message Edited by ultimateear on 01-22-2010 07:13 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act/Outlook Integration on a Windows Vista Machine

The problem is not really ACT!... it's Vista not connecting to the VPN. Sounds like something to check with the person who set up the VPN.

Maybe add a script that authenticates the Vista machine and run it before Outlook or ACT!?

You might find it better to set up synchronisation for the remote users... that way they can use Outlook and ACT! when not connected and only have to connect to end the emails and sync the database changes

See: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/01/sharing-act-network-or-sync-part-1.html

Thanks Mike.

Except the VPN has connected as Act has already opened the database which is on the server, Outlook has connected to the Server as well its when Outlook looks for the Address box I want to link to in the Act database it chokes and I'm wondering whether others have experienced the same and come up with a resolution.

I will look at the synchronisation you mention as I hadn't considered this before but wonder now the configuraition has been done whether I can change it now?

Is the PAD file you use for the address book in Outlook local or on the server?

You could try copying it to the local machine, opening it in notepad and changing the host machine name to it's IP address... this often works better with VPN

Also turn off UAC in Vista

Yes, there is no problem changing the remote user to a local sync... after you create and give them their RDB, just make sure ACT! and Outlook both point to the local database for the remote users.

The reason this is better is that VPN adds a lot of overhead and this can sometimes cause disconnects

Hi Mike,

The .pad is also on the server, same as the database, the default configuration rather than anything specific that we looked for.

I would try copying them locally and changing the details to the IP

Sometimes VPNs don't properly deal with WINS/NetBIOs

See the section "Editing the .PAD File:" in this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1414...

But I'd still go with sync as a better option. See:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/11/supporting-remote-users-with-act-by.html

Well I've tried to set up sync'ing, managed the first step fine selecting the sync group but when I went on to set up remote databases it chokes doing the set-up, annoyingly the error message isn't seen due in its full sense due to the fixed window sizing.

I wonder whether this is down to me attempting to do this remotely from the server containing the database? 

The other issue that we might then encounter is how long syncs might take as the sales team all work remotely and will rely heavily on each others data so if syncs are slow and require the sales person to manually instigate them then they won't happen as often as might be best for the collective sales effort.

Could it be that a slower but LIVE database connection to the main database be the best solution?

First though I'd like to overcome my problem creating the remote databases.