Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Mobile Live Not Updating

Copper Super Contributor

Act Mobile Live Not Updating

I have Act Mobile Live installed on two computers.  It updated to Sage for Act on one, but the other is still identifying itself as Act Mobile Live, but when "Update Now" is checked, it reports that it is already the latest verions (which it isn't).  What should I do?

(Note: I posted this several days ago in the thead annoucing the Mobile Live update. There were no responses. I have long felt that Act's developers have a responsibility to promptly address technical glitches in Act even for those who do not subscribe to the support plans. To their credit, the developers do sometimes respond.  In other cases, such as the present one, they do not.)

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act Mobile Live Not Updating

I solved it by directly downloading and installing. (The download iitself is not properly labelled.)  Thanks, Sage, for forcing me to waste my time by figuring out how to correct your multiple programming failures and for your failures to respond to my pleas for help in resolving your multiple errors.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello rconant,

I apologize for the difficulties you experienced with the Sage Mobile for ACT! update and also the delayed response time. Unfortunately, I did not see your original post so I will reply here. First, I'm glad to hear that you were able to solve the issue and get the download. After doing some research, we found that this issue happens with the original install of ACT! Mobile Live. For customers who had installed the latest build, the updater works as expected. The only workaround if you receive the message that you already have the latest update is to do what you did and download the update from the Sage Mobile for ACT! portal. Again, I apologize for the time lost to you in dealing with this issue and hope you enjoy working with latest version of Sage Mobile for ACT!. As a reminder, the full transition does not take place until 2/2/11, so the changes noted in KB Article 27475 will take effect when that happens.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Super Contributor

Well, OK.  But it's worth nothing the number of compounding errors. 1. The update notice fails to signal a need to update.  2. The download is incorrectly labeled, and 3. Postings in the Act Mobile Live thread are apparently not monitored.  Except for the fortuitous and coincidental fact that I had happened to install Mobile Live rather recently on another computer and therefore was altered to the possibility there was something wrong, there is no way that I would have discovered the error and therefore would quite possibly have been totally out of business in February.  Naturally, in the interest of maziminzing the quality of your customer service, I expect that you will notify all those who installed early that they must download the mislabel version on the web.

Copper Super Contributor

I finally resolved the problem.  First, I tried to uninstall the newly installed Sage Act for Mobile using the Control Panel's remove programs feature.  That uninstall failed because of an error in the Sage uninstall routine.  I then decided to reinstall and try to uninstall again.  But when I started to reinstall, it instead began to uninstall.  This time the uninstall worked.  Then I followed the instructions in the knowledgebase article on how to manually uninstall Act Mobile.  But all of the unstall steps had already been taken.  I then reinstalled the new Sage for Act Mobile.  Lastly, I used Startup CopL and discovered that now (not before) there were two registry entries for starting up Sage Moblle Live. 

So let's count the errors in Act's programming regarding this rather routine update.

(1) My build of Act Mobile Live failed to indicate that an update was necessary.

(2) Apparently, the new Sage for Act Mobile installation routine failed to uninstall correctly the original build

(3) The uninstall routine for the new Sage ror Act did not work correctly.

(4) The new Sage ofr Act Mobile installl routine installed duplicate startup instructions in the registry.

Some questions:

Are errors in routine updates common in the field?  No, they exceedingly rare.

How many hours did it take to straighten out all these errors by Sage?  Many, of course.

Is this the first time long-time users have run across Sage programming errors?  Lord, No,  Most long-term users experience them with some frequency and this frequency is not declining, witness the dozens of entries in this forum each day mostly addressing some sort of Sage technical error.

Copper Super Contributor

That option, at $180/year, strikes me as too expensive for single users like me. Most likely, I'll use Companion Link, which, in addtion to being a dimenion cheaper, also has pretty good customer service.