Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Licensing Questions

Act Licensing Questions

A couple of quick questions which somebody may be able to answer (questions relate to a single user licence as I don't want or need to synchronise with others):

a) Is the Act licence key country specific? In other words If I purchased an Act licence from a USA vendor could I use that licence in the UK? (The obvious reason for the question is that we Brits usually get our eyes taken out for technology compared to the guys in the states: I can save 50% by buying my licence from a USA vendor!)

b) Are the licences user or machine specific? (In other words I usually work on my desktop PC at home but very occasionally will travel with my laptop - Would I need 2 licences to do this?)

TIA
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act Licensing Questions

a) I don't believe so, although this may cause issues with tech support

b) I believe the license allows you to install on a 2nd machine as long as both are not used at the same time. To keep the two systems up-to-date will require you to set up synchronisation

Thanks Mike.

I don't need really need tech support, I've been using Act since version 6 without any problems so I don't anticipate needing it.

In terms of sychronising the two then that's not necessary as I keep the database on a USB stick.

You can't put a SQL database and operate it from a USB stick. SQL doesn't like that

Ah right, thanks for the advice Mike.

That's the way I've operated with the old version of Act 6, sounds like I'll need to reconsider that if I upgrade to 2008.

Yes... ACT! 6.0 was just a shared CodeBase file.

ACT! 7.0 and later is SQL Client/Server and must have the database on a permanent local hard drive that is loaded by a Windows service with you start Windows.
Copper Contributor

The ACT! 2008 license does indeed allow you to install ACT! on a laptop or home computer without needing another license.

From the license agreement:

"This Agreement permits you to: (a) use the Software: (i) on a single primary computer; and (ii) on a secondary computer that may be either your home computer or a portable computer that you own or use in your business or profession;"
Best Regards,

Chuck

It's always good to check the EULA... it might be different in different countries and Corona is in the UK. Also, it can change from version to version.

Also ESCI, you can edit your posts without deleting and posting again :-)