Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act.Integration has stopped working when sync Outlook Contacts

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Re: Act.Integration has stopped working when sync Outlook Contacts

Hi Friday

I agree with you. ACT hasn't ever remained stable on my PCs for very long since installing v19 2 years ago.

What CRM did you choose in the end?

Highlighted
Administrator

[ Edited ]

I appreciate your frustration, and I can only apologise that we haven't managed to get this up and running for you just yet.

There is unfortunately a limit to how effectively we can troubleshoot an issue in a forum setting. That's not to say that we've given up, I was simply suggesting that the most effective way forwards would be to speak with our support department who are better able to delve deeper into the issue.

At this point, we've ruled out most of the 'common' issues that could be causing this. So what we need to do is pinpoint the area causing trouble.

In my previous post I recommended trying a new Windows User profile, and seeing if the issue persists there. While I appreciate that using a different windows user isn't necessarily a practical solution - what it will tell us is WHERE the problem is stemming from.

If the issue does not occur on that new user profile - then we know that the issue is coming from one of three places:

1) Registry Entries
2) Preferences/User Specific Temp Files/AppData (User Specific Files)
3) Permissions

And if it DOES occur on the new user, we can rule some of those out and focus on the things that are common between profiles - installed drivers/frameworks, other software on the machine etc.

I appreciate your patience here, TZAL. I know that this has been ongoing for a while.

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Hi Jon

Thanks for your response. I cannot access Outlook on the dummy user account without setting up everything new (which would then cause duplication issues). And ACT also needs customisation to be able to use properly.

Would it be OK to log on to the dummy user account and then continue to work on my proper user account as normal?

Highlighted
Administrator

Essentially yes, you should continue to work on your main account - we just need to test using the new windows profile to see if you get the errors.

You should be able to log in with your usual Outlook profile, and if for some reason that's not possible - you could create a new blank outlook profile.

If you log into the same database on Act! you should be able to test most effectively - if you don't want to or can't do that, you could create a blank new database, and put a few dummy activities or contacts in to test sync.
Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Hi Jon

I was using my user account with ACT & Outlook open as well as a test user account also with ACT and Outlook (not linked though).

Act integration error came up on my my account so checked test account - no error.

Then closed Act integration (button on error message) & checked test account - ACT integration was till open with right-click commands available.

Does that now point us in a direction for a fix?

Highlighted
Administrator

You'll need to link the test account's Act and Outlook and test doing a couple of synchronisations.

The Act.Integration.Exe will only crash when it's actively doing something I'm guessing. Like I mentioned before, you can create a new blank database, and set up a new outlook profile if you don't want to accidentally cause any issues with your actual outlook/act data.
Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Hi Jon

Sorry, maybe I'm being dumb but I'm unsure how to make a dummy outlook profile. Does it need a real email or can I make one up and add that to act contact?

I'm happy making a dummy act database.

By the way, Act/Outlook still worked even when it'd crashed i.e. could attach emails to contacts & send emails via Act (mail merge or clicking email address)

Highlighted
Administrator

Some features of the Act! - Outlook integration run from a different service.

Essentially there are two - the Act.Integration.exe service (which handles calendar and contact sync) and the Act.Outlook.32-bit service that handles email.

So it's possible for mail features to work, even when the Calendar/Contact sync crashes.

As far as setting up a dummy Outlook profile goes - I'm not sure if you need to use a real email or if you can make one up. I'd imagine you can use a fake one, but it won't be able to send and receive email, obviously.
Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Hi Jon

Set up dummy email but as it doesn't work, not sure how useful this will be.

Also, don't sync Act contacts or diary with outlook. Just use it to attach messages and send emails. Does this mean that I never actually use Act.Integration?

Highlighted
Administrator

If you don't sync your calendars, or sync your Outlook contact book into Act, then yes - you never use the Act.Integration.exe service.

If the issue you're having is with emails attaching - that is a different service, and to test that we'll need to use your main outlook profile on this new dummy windows account.