Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act.Integration has stopped working when sync Outlook Contacts

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Re: Act.Integration has stopped working when sync Outlook Contacts

I am taking most of my clients back to Office 2013 as the experience with Office 2016 has been awful because of Microsoft's constant updates that damage the linkage to ACT and other programs.  If you have a preowned version of Office 2013 it is a no cost change apart from a bit of your time. If not a legal copy of Office 2013 is now very cheaply available on the internet. Office 2016 / 365 is, in my opinion, going to continue to deliver grief to all ACT users until the ACT designers fundamentally change the way ACT and Outlook link.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thank You for your reply.  It is appreciated.

If Swiftpage tells us that a version of Office 365 is certified to work with ACT and if we turn off Office 365 updates, shouldn't that solve the issue?

THEN, before updating Office 365, we could call Swiftpage, verify whether or not the current version of Office 365 is certified to work with ACT.  If it is then we update Office 365.  If not, then we don't.

I am trying to find a best practice for using Office 365 with ACT.  

I have asked Swiftpage for such best practice but I have not received one.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

CompanionLink

BUT, that was painful too.

No instructions exist on how to install it and how to configure it.  My first go-'round with it was a failure.  I got my money back.

An ACT consultant told me Companion Link works well and to pay the $149 installation fee.  Now that just cut across my grain being forced to pay to have software installed.  I have not needed to do so, ever, and that dates to 1978.

So, I paid for installation.  They guy installed it and I had the exact same issues as when I installed it my self.  He did nothing any different than I did.

In a fit of fury, I read Companion Link the riot act.  The same fellow installed it.  Things were better but not perfect.  It took a second person to finish up the job correctly.

I am still testing CompanionLink into my 3rd week.  So far so good.

Put paying customers of Swiftpage should not have to go to additional expense to buy a 3rd party piece of software because the same functionality in ACT does not work.

Further, paying customers of CompanionLink should not have to go through such agony and additional expense simply because we were force to buy their stuff and they made money off of us.

Highlighted
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi princeedwardh,

When it comes to best practices when dealing with versions of Microsoft Office, please see the information in the following Knowledgebase article:

KB 38802 - Recommended Microsoft Office update channel settings when using Act! with Office 2016 or ...

This info is our current recommendation while we continue to work on addressing the issues some customers have been experiencing with the Current channel builds of Office.

Highlighted
Employee

Hi,

I suggest Using Outlook Deferred Channel and NOt Current.  Deferred is they way to go if you use Outlook with any third party integration

Recommended Microsoft Office update channel settings when using Act! with Office 2016 or Office 365
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38802

Make sure you have the latest patches from Act! - > 19.2.146.0 Upate 3
Microsoft Outlook synchronization is not working when using Act! with Outlook 2016
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38580/kw/38580

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

The referenced best practice is not good enough.  

Swiftpage needs a better solution lest we customers continue to chew up technical support resources or go elsewhere.

To be clear, the last version of Office that Swiftpage told me was certified for use with ACT still causes problems, suggesting that the Testing Department is failing Swiftpage and customers.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I am most happy.

I would like to share my Swiftpage customer experience with the Community.

I received exceptional technical support yesterday, initiated by Swiftpage as a result of my public frustrations in this Community.  

My goodwill for Swiftpage has skyrocketed.

Below is a message that I sent to technical support.  Please feel free to share it.

Thank you,

princeedwardh

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hello!

Thank You for the phone call yesterday and all of the help.  It is appreciated more than you know.

If I may……………………………………………….

It is becoming increasingly clear to me that I must redirect my frustration away from Swiftpage to Microsoft, with its infernal updates to Windows 10 and Office 365.

However, it is not likely that Microsoft will care.

In my worthless opinion, Swiftpage is not coping well with the problems that Microsoft inflicts upon both its customers and software companies.

Swiftpage has attempted to explain to me and all of its customers the great problems that Microsoft causes on ACT.

Swiftpage is not doing a good job in this attempt.  The result is that I and Swiftpage customers have voiced great frustration at Swiftpage, which is not appropriate.  Yet, it is Swiftpage’s reality.

I feel that Swiftpage should be able to communicate overtly and quite directly to its customers about such issues with Microsoft being the root cause and how to deal with these issues until Swiftpage can affect a solution.

I feel that I should have been able to find easily a notice from Swiftpage on these issues.  But, I did not.  Had I found such a notice then I would not have gotten so publically vocal incorrectly faulting Swiftpage.

If I were the CEO of Swiftpage, I would get way out in front on this issue in the effort not only to maintain but also to increase client retention and then to grow clients.

Lastly, yesterday I received highly professional, high caliper and superior professional expertise from the Swiftpage technical support person.  He took ownership of my issue.  He helped me to understand that my issue is a Microsoft issue, not a Swiftpage issue.  I feel much, much better towards Swiftpage today.  And, lest we forget, Swiftpage identified my issue from the Community and reached out to me.  Now THAT is customer service, for which I value greatly.

Thank You, Sincerely,

Highlighted
Administrator

Hi princeedwardh,

Thank you for writing up this feedback. I'm glad you had a good support experience with the agent you spoke to. I'll make sure this gets recognised.

As for your point on the communication and root cause of the recent Outlook issues, it is true that changes Microsoft have made and included in recent Office updates are to blame. It is however, my personal opinion, that overtly stating this on repeated threads about the Outlook issues could be seen as blame shifting on our part, and give the impression that we aren't doing anything about it, to our upset customers.

At the end of the day, no matter where the blame lies, we are still working towards fixes for these issues, and we've taken steps to be more prepared for emerging issues in the future. We'll do our best to make sure the messaging that goes out clarifies the root cause more effectively.
Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Hi Gary

I know that everyone involved from end users to the design team and everyone who supports the product have had a torrid time with the Outlook - ACT issues and appreciate your comments.

It would improve peoples confidence in the ability of ACT to cope with the Outlook changes in the future if there were a mission statement or roadmap announcement.

As you know my wish is for the team to change from MAPI interface format and I believe that if this is your intention, or even if you have another plan, a statement to that fact would be very well received and give the Swiftpage and ACT brand a well needed boost of confidence. (Don't keep it back if it is good news!)

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

From ACT! to Sage to Swiftpage over the years I like to compliment Gary W. Been much better than past forums Admins in responding , following up and digging deeper to understand the problem and put out suggestions till Fix comes out.

As for Support they to have been better considering the number of problems is more challenging than past years.  The ACT! Developers are also getting rid of old ways of coding but does not happen fast.  IF your using ACT! you should be ready to go the perpetual license/ annual updates with free support. You can't expect one version to be happy over a few years.

I've work for software companies since mid 80's based on MS$ OS and Apps.  The developer kits they put out is always changing to take the user experience to the next level.  Let's not forget Google is also making changes and dropping Apps' or API's as ACT! gets closer to more cloud solutions.  As well as the continues MS$ updates to address new virus and hacker code.

I think the lock down from software updates by MS$ Office is a great solution.  Lets hope MS$ does not get rid of or change it, and don't be so quick to update to the next OS update.

JM