Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Integration Service is not a service

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act! Integration Service is not a service

The Act! Integration Service works well... but it's not a service.  That is, it does not start automatically in the background when the computer starts, before a user logs on.  It requires a user logon to startup.  In fact, Act! appears to agree with this assessment, with no solution:

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36402/~/sage-act!-integration-service-does-not-automatical...

Has anyone been able to work around this issue or is there an update to change it from a regular application to a real service?  I'm running this on Act! Pro v16.  Did they upgrade it to a service in v17 or v18?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author John T.
‎03-21-2016 01:58 PM
Copper Contributor

Re: Act! Integration Service is not a service

And then I got smarter...

And realized that the Google Integration configuration is tied to the user account.  Once that hit me, I logged on as the service account I created for the new "service", configured Google Integration, ensured that the new "service" is using the new service account (it will NOT work with LocalSystem) and boom... I now have a working service that snags messages from Gmail every ten minutes, even when nobody is logged on to the server!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Hi John,

You are right, it is not a service by definition, only by name.

At present (v18) it still exists as a separate application, and is not a service.

It may be possible to convert the application to a service using a 3rd party method.

Look at using SrvStart (a freeware utility) to run an existing app as a service:

Using SrvStart to Run Any Application as a Windows Service

There are also commercial tools that can convert Windows apps to run as services such as:

FireDaemon

AlwaysUp

Copper Contributor

Thanks, Gary.  When I posted my message, I was looking into similar things, such as NSSM, as posted on Stack Exchange here: create-windows-service-from-executable.

Do you happen to know if there are plans to turn it into a real service?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Copper Contributor

If Outlook features are required, perhaps.  In my case, I only need to synchronize Gmail e-mail messages, and do not have Outlook installed (and the messages do appear in History as expected when the Integration Service is running.)

Same thing applies ... Different users would have different Gmail accounts.

Why would you want it as a service?

Copper Contributor

In our case, we have Act! Pro running on a server, acting as a central location for our sales guys to connect to for data.  The reason for wanting it as a service is that we do not normally have a user logged on to the server, and I want it to gather e-mail 24/7 so that the history of each contact is up to date (well, every 10 minutes is fine).

I have been able to turn the exe into a service using NSSM.  Unfortunately, while the service does startup properly (you must include the lonely "D" in the arguments to start the application!) it never actually attempts to sync.  The EXE even appears as expected in the Task Manager under Processes.  I suspect it needs something else to which it does not have access.  I tried running the service as LocalHost (both with and without Interact with Desktop enabled), a unique account and the same account as I'm using for the Act! Scheduler (both of which are Local Administrators) with no success.

My last ditch effort will be to setup the server to auto-logon with the service account and have it auto-start the application normally, then lock the computer.  It's ugly, but that should definitely work.

Solution
Accepted by topic author John T.
‎03-21-2016 01:58 PM
Copper Contributor

And then I got smarter...

And realized that the Google Integration configuration is tied to the user account.  Once that hit me, I logged on as the service account I created for the new "service", configured Google Integration, ensured that the new "service" is using the new service account (it will NOT work with LocalSystem) and boom... I now have a working service that snags messages from Gmail every ten minutes, even when nobody is logged on to the server!

Administrator

Thanks for letting us know how you managed this John!

The only issue I see with this is how does it log into different users' gmail accounts or assign the history to different Act! users?