Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Error Message

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act! Error Message

Hi folks:

I am getting an error message that is preventing Act!  from opening. It is the most recent version of Act! Pro 2011 with Hotfix 1. I am running on an HP Pavilion 6700 laptop with Windows 7 Home Professional and Office 2010 Home Professional.

The message box that pops up is as follows:

Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ResolutionFailedException: Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Act.UI.ActApplication", name = "". Exception message is: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Act.UI.ActApplication, null]) failed: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Binary stream '0' does not contain a valid BinaryHeader. Possible causes are invalid stream or object version change between serialization and deserialization.

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.Run()

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)

at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.Deserialize(String fileName) (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 3) ---> Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildFailedException: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Act.UI.ActApplication, null]) failed: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Binary stream '0' does not contain a valid BinaryHeader. Possible causes are invalid stream or object version change between serialization and deserialization.

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)

at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.Deserialize(String fileName) (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 3) ---> System.Exception: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Binary stream '0' does not contain a valid BinaryHeader. Possible causes are invalid stream or object version change between serialization and deserialization.

at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.Deserialize(String fileName)

at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.Deserialize(String fileName)

at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.get_CustomMacroHandlers()

at Act.UI.Core.Explorer.RestoreImagesToCollection()

at Act.UI.Core.Explorer.LoadDisconnectedMenuToolBar()

at Act.UI.ActApplication.InitializeExplorer()

at Act.UI.ActApplication.InitializeApplication()

at Act.UI.ActApplication..ctor(IUnityContainer container, IEventAggregator eventAggregator)

at BuildUp_Act.UI.ActApplication(IBuilderContext )

at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlan.BuildUp(IBuilderContext context)

at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)

at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)

at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.Builder.BuildUp(IReadWriteLocator locator, ILifetimeContainer lifetime, IPolicyList policies, IStrategyChain strategies, Object buildKey, Object existing)

at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name)

at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.Resolve(Type t, String name)

at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainerBase.Resolve[T]()

at Act.Application.ActBootstrapper.ConfigureContainer()

at Act.Composite.UnityExtensions.SimpleUnityBootstrapper.Run(Boolean useDefaultConfiguration)

at Act.Application.Act.Main(String[] args).

I have uninstalled a variety of addons so only the basic program is running but I still get the error. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

Regards

Paul

Paul B Moore

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author pbmoore
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act! Error Message

Thank you so much for your reply.

After installing and reinstalling so many times, replacing my laptop hard drive (the diagnostic program halted after a few minutes and told me to replace it!) I finally did what I should have done from the 1st time I got the error message. I called the Act! Tech Gods.

He took remote control of my desktop, found the corrupt file in my Act Data directory, renamed it as .old, restarted Act!, got the same message, then renamed the directory Act Data.old, restarted Act! And it is running again beautifully.

He said that something had happened to corrupt the file or several files and we needed to essentially re-initialize the settings

So I now have a new 500 Gb laptop hard drive, a revitalized and flawless Act! program and a continuing respect for the expertise and customer support of Sage Software.

And by the way, responses from members of this board such as yourself and many others confirms my belief that Sage products and support community are world class.

Life is good again!

Paul B Moore

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Contributor

You may find that the following KB may assist

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1406...

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Solution
Accepted by topic author pbmoore
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Thank you so much for your reply.

After installing and reinstalling so many times, replacing my laptop hard drive (the diagnostic program halted after a few minutes and told me to replace it!) I finally did what I should have done from the 1st time I got the error message. I called the Act! Tech Gods.

He took remote control of my desktop, found the corrupt file in my Act Data directory, renamed it as .old, restarted Act!, got the same message, then renamed the directory Act Data.old, restarted Act! And it is running again beautifully.

He said that something had happened to corrupt the file or several files and we needed to essentially re-initialize the settings

So I now have a new 500 Gb laptop hard drive, a revitalized and flawless Act! program and a continuing respect for the expertise and customer support of Sage Software.

And by the way, responses from members of this board such as yourself and many others confirms my belief that Sage products and support community are world class.

Life is good again!

Paul B Moore

Nothing truly magical about software that is altogether quirky.  I really cannot complain since it does the job for just under $100 but I would prefer not to be an expert installer of the product. 

My fix?

Uninstall; backup and remove program files left behind; reinstall; reboot; create restore point; reinstall updates; reinstall plugins; create restore point; and be a happy, productive entrepreneur.

Smiley Happy