Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Email crashes when receiving email

SMC
Copper Contributor

Act Email crashes when receiving email

I recently had to reinstall Act! 2008 on my computer.  After restoring my email, I could see all of my mail and folders, everything looked fine.  But when I try to send/receive messages it goes through the usual steps of checking and receiving.  But when it gets to Saving Messages, I get an error: ActEmail.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  I have to close Act too before I can get back in to email.
Steve Collins
IQ Accounting Solutions LLC
Peachtree Certified Consultant

Re: Act Email crashes when receiving email

SMC,

Does it actually download and save any e-mails in the attempt?  Log into your webmail and see if theres any spam or large attachment e-mails that are being downloaded.

SMC
Copper Contributor

Thank you for your response.

It gives the normal download progress message showing how many messages it is downloading.  When it has downloaded all, then it says it is saving the messages.  That is when it crashes.  The only error message I get is Windows asking if I want to send the error report to Microsoft.  No new emails show up in the inbox.

When I checked my web mail there was nothing large or unusual. 

I have 3 email accounts that I normally check.  One of the things I did to test was to set up just one of the accounts manually instead of restoring my exported email.  The only messages it had wating to download were short emails which I had sent as tests.  Even in that setting, Act Email still crashed when saving the messages.

Steve Collins
SMC
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I decided to try uninstalling and reinstalling.  My situation has changed now.  When I open Act and click on the email button I get the Act.UI.Email.EmailConnectorInitializExceptionError exactly as described in this article Answer ID 20567  However, none of the fixes described worked for me.

But, if Act is running, I can launch actemail.exe from Start->Run and it will open fine.  I can also send and receive email without a problem.

So I have gone from being able to launch Act Email but couldn't send/receive to can send/receive, but can't launch Act Email from the email button.  Also, if I click the "Write Email Message" button in Act, there is no response.  I am currently running version 10.0.3.182

Message Edited by SMC on 07-21-2008 02:08 PM
Steve Collins

Did you ever get this fixed?  I am having the same problem after updating to Act! 2008 version 10.0.3.182.

SMC
Copper Contributor

I wouldn't call if fixed, but I have devised a manageable work-around.  Since I found that the email program would work if I ran it from its exe file instead of using the email button in Act, I just added a custom button to the toolbar to run ActEmail.exe.

Here is how to do it.  Right click on the toolbar at the top of the screen and choose Customize (or open the Tools menu, choose Customize - Menus and Toolbars).  Go to the Custom Commands tab.  Click the New button.  Enter a command name such as Email or Launch Act Email.  Then click the Browse button and find and select ActEmail.exe.  It will be in the folder that Act is installed in, probably C:\Program Files\Act\Act For Windows.  Click the Add Command button.  Then go to the Commands tab and choose Custom Commands in the Categories list.  The custom command you just created will show in the command list.  You can drag it and drop it where ever you want it on the toolbar at the top of the Act window.  Each view (contact details, contact list, calendar, etc) has its own toolbar.  So you will need to add it to each toolbar that you want it on.

With this workaround, the only functionality that is missing is the ability to start an email from the contact screen.  I have to launch Act Email, create a new message, and type in the recipient.  Other than that, everything seems to work fine.

I hope this helps.

Steve Collins

I tried your work around and I could get the e-mail program to restart without having to restart ACT, but I still crashed when it tried to receive a message.  Did you ever get any help from Act!?  Have you tried the 2009 Version?

Thanks for you help!

SMC
Copper Contributor

I never contacted Act support outside of this forum.  I intend to upgrade to 2009 but haven't done it yet.
Steve Collins

On another post, it recommended uninstalling and reinstalling.  I tried that and it seems to have worked.  I did get an fatal error when I closed it once, but haven't had any other problems.