Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act!Diagnostic cannot see database in database list - Username and password not working

Act!Diagnostic cannot see database in database list - Username and password not working

I am using Act 2012 on WIndows 7 laptop. This has happened once before and I was able to fix it but I canno remember how I did it.

For some reason the database has just recently gone into the the mode of asking for the user name and password in order to open it up. Like I said it happened a year or so ago and now again. The big challenge is the username and password I originally used does not work... grr. Now I cannot get in at all. I have been looking all over the net to see if there is a fix or a solution...

I have also tried going in to Actdiag to try and detach and reattach the database but I cannot even see it in the database list. I am at wits end with this and looking for a possible solution outside of paying for the tech support system to fix it for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Act!Diagnostic cannot see database in database list - Username and password not working

You can only see the databases with actdiag on the PC/Server where they are hosted.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

Re: Act!Diagnostic cannot see database in database list - Username and password not working

Yes I understand that. The database is on the same machine as the install of ACT. Its all running local on a single machine.

Bronze Super Contributor

Is SQL running?

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

Yup... Started and stopped it numerous times and double checked a couple times over... Going thru the services.msc route

I am starting to think maybe the db is having an issue. Is there anyway of checking the db outside of running it thru ACT. Seems strange that I cannot even see it thru ACTDiag... hmmmm and grrrr

Platinum Elite Contributor

In ACT! have you tried to open the database using the ADF option rather than the PAD?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yup tried that as well. Originally when this all started I was getting the usename and pwd box (As per original post). After hours of scouring the web and K-Bases I have attempted a few things such as moving the db and trying to open various ways.

Now when I try to open it via ACT and the adf file the following is the result:

First this comes up:

Verify db.jpg

Click ok and then the following:

redo log.jpg

Any ideas?

Thank you

Silver Super Contributor

That means there is most likely a problem with the log file for the database.  Sometimes you can delete the log and use actdiag to attach a database missing a log file and get it to work.  Sometimes it requires more work.  If using actdiag doesn't work I can help you get it reattached but it would be billable.  If you're interested send me a private email or give me a call.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!