Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Compatability - What they don't tell you!

Tuned Listener

Act Compatability - What they don't tell you!

[ Edited ]

I purchased ACT to help my husband keep a file on his customers.  After having great luck with much lower versions.

I purchased ACT 10.0 2008 and had horrible trouble installing it on 2 older pcs that were just the minimum requirements.  Spoke with tech support who was extremely helpful getting it into my 2 pc's.

I finally bought a new computer and expected to have ACT run like a dream!  Guess what!  It is not compatible with 64 bit Vista.  I might as well just get rid of the program now that I can not use it.  The database now has 1500 names, addresses, birthdates and history that I can not access!  Now I am expected to go out and buy ACT 2010, I don't think so after spending the money on a new computer!  The program I own isn't even a year old yet!

Message Edited by Lynn26 on 06-15-2009 06:13 PM
Tuned Listener

Re: Act Compatability - What they don't tell you!

I called Act! customer service today and was told that Iwill have to purchase the 2009 version for $150.00.

I was also told by Argun, in Customer Service that it was Best Buys responsibility to inform me that Act! 2008 would not work on my pc.  What a company Act! is!!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

You will likely want to upgrade to ACT! 2010 when it comes out, I participated in the Alpha testing and it has some very nice new features. In the mean time it is possible to run your ACT! 2008 on your 64-bit Vista machine using a virtual machine to create a 32-bit environment. Microsoft provides a download to create such a virtual machine. Here is the link. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displa...

Hope this helps. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

No I will not likely want to upgrade to 2010 when it comes out.  With all the changes that Sage has been through since I have owned my original 4.0 I do not feel Sage is a very reputable company.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Act Compatibility - What they don't tell you!

Lynn26,

First I am sorry for the confusion and frustration.

The copy of ACT! that you are referencing (ACT! 2008) was released in August of 2007.  This version was NOT compatible with 64bit operating systems as some of the internal 3rd party components were not compatible at that time.  Internally, this edition is known as ACT! 10.  I am not sure where the impression that this edition would function on a new WIndows Vista 64bit operating system has come from.

ACT! 2009 (ACT! 11.0) was released in August of 2008 which is compatible with your version of 64bit Windows Vista, as will the upcoming ACT! 2010 release.

Hope this is useful information.

Matthew McFadden
Tuned Listener

I just received an email from the customer service department stating that the side of the box did state that it was not compatible with 64 bit Vista.  The Real Estate edition that is.  I did not purchase the Real Estate edition.  Therefore it was not printed on the side of the box on my edition.  I was also told I should have gone to the website to study the requirements before purchasing. 

Just pass the buck again.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Lynn26, you bought an old copy (2 years) that wasn't compatible with you brand new x64 Vista machine.  What would you like to be done based on this information?
Matthew McFadden
Tuned Listener

Obviously I bought the only version that Best Buy had available in 2008.
Bronze Elite Contributor

It should be said in fairness, that it wasn't compatible with 64 bit Windows XP machines either.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog