Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Backup Stops Working

Copper Contributor

Act Backup Stops Working

[ Edited ]

I use ACT Pro 2013,  Version 15.1.108.0, I use a local database on my Windows 7 Professional computer.  This evening I started getting the following message when backing up my laptop (I had just backed up my desktop and then used the restore as feature to move the database to my laptop for a trip I needed to take).  What would cause this to happen, how do I fix it?  I will now need to use the same procedure to move my data back to mydesk top when I return.  I read some article about this error, but I don't get it, way too complex.  I tried running the 4 database rebuilds in ACTD AG, but this does not work. What events would occur to make this happen so I don't repeat them again.  I have not done anything unusual, just the same daily routines???  HELP!  Image below.  Thanks

Backup Picture.gif

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act Backup Stops Working

It may be an issue with the file path to the destination folder. Try creating a folder directly on the C: drive (ex: C:\ACTDatabase) and perform the restore as into that folder. Successful or not?
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks Greg, but I am not sure I have clearly communicated this problem.  I moved data from my desktop to my laptop to go on a short trip.  I have been working with ACT while on my trip, so all the data is updated and changed. If I understand you correctly, if I try to "restore as" from my original data moved from my desktop, I will loose all my work from the last two days?  How do I back up so I can keep all my current work?  When I return home, I will then take this data and "restore as" to move my database back onto my desktop.  Also, any idea what causes this problem so I don't repeat this error?

I apologize... typing too fast. I meant - attempt the backup, directed into that new folder. Successful or not?

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks Greg for the clarification.  Actually, I had tried your suggestion last evening, in a new folder, and on an external USB drive.  I got the same message both times? I have restarted the machine.  Tried everything I can think of. I just need to figure this out before I return home in a couple of days.  In the meantime, ACT seems to be functioning fine in every other respect.

Ok, I'm still inclined to believe it has to do with the file path - path in which database resides.  There are 2 options for that:

1. Move the database to a different location and attempt the backup

2. Manually create a backup to move to the original computer, when ready to...

KB Article 23392

Note: Both options use the same basic steps: detach the database so that SQL no longer has it locked, then copy/move the files to a new destination (either a folder or new computer), and open the database using the ADF file (to recreate the PAD file).  You can also use this method to create backups - copy the files to a safe location, then reopen the files in the original location.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

OK Greg, I will try to do this later today, or when I get home in a day or two.  Can you explain what causes this to happen in the 1st place?

Copper Contributor

Greg, I just realized that I have no idea where this database is located on my computer?  What is the default location?  I am using Windows 7.  How would I search for these files?  Can I search using *.adf like I would in the old XP operating system?  Just got a new window's 7 system and still learning about it, so any help you can offer would be appreciated?

I expect that you have a special character in the file path to the folder that contains your database. If you browse to the location of the database and look at the path, do you see any special characters?
Greg Martin
Sage

Smiley Happy To find the database location...
Open the database > click Help > select About ACT! > click Database Information.
You'll see the location of the PAD file, most likely the ADF is located with the PAD file. To verify, scroll through Database Settings Information to locate 'Database File Location', that will show the ADF location.

Glad you asked!
Greg Martin
Sage