Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Backup Stops Working

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Act Backup Stops Working

[ Edited ]

OK, in the about section is says, C:\Users\Mike's Laptop\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases\Mortgagedatabase04022013.pad

Is the Mike's with the apostrophe the problem?  I tried to rename it, the computer won't let me?

Highlighted
Platinum Super Contributor

Yea, that would be the problem. But I don't recommend renaming it, that could affect other programs. You can move the database to a different folder (ex: C:\ACTDatabase) using the previous article, or just use the same steps to copy the database files back to the original computer.
Greg Martin
Sage
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks Martin, just got home. Your advise worked perfectly.  Thanks again for all your great help! 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Well, I was only partially correct on my previous response.  Although your solution on how to move the database back to my desktop was correct, I still have the problem with my laptop not being able to back up, even though I eliminated the apostrophe from the directory's name that you said was causing the problem. Any ideas as to what I should be trying now?

Highlighted

The apostrophe is generally the cause for this error. Does the database backup correctly on the desktop?

On the laptop, did you move the database to a new folder (ex: C:\ACTdatabase), and then try the backup?
Greg Martin
Sage
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Hi Greg, Yes, the database does back up correctly on the desktop.  On the laptop, I changed the name of the folder to eliminate the apostrophe, and I also tried a different folder, neither way worked.

Highlighted

To determine if this is specific to the database or with the installation of Sage ACT!, open the Demo database and attempt to back it up. Successful or not?

If the demo will backup successfully, try creating a new backup on the desktop and restore it on the laptop - using the folder on the C: drive. Will it backup successfully?
I'm thinking SQL Server is retaining the original path for the database - since we have been moving the database.

Greg Martin
Sage
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Greg, I have this same exact problem. Moved ACT file to a laptop with an apostrophe in the admin user name. Now I cannot back it up. I tried the procedure in Answer ID 23392 and it did not work, and I could net even reattach the database on my laptop (until you directed me to use the newest ACTdiag)

But I cannot get it to work form any directory on the laptop, een after creating a new username or trying to use a file location on the c: drive root directory (not under a username or my documents)

When I tried to open the file on my desktop, it would not open, saying it did not recognize the SQL version. I am hoping this problem will go away when I try it (on Monday) with the later actDiag version.

Your thoughts?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Martin, we have not visited this issue for weeks, and I am still having trouble with my laptop. Since I will be out on the road again at some point, I need to address this now.  I cannot back up the files on my laptop because the original directory was created with an apostrophe, something I did not know ACT would have a problem with.  I changed the directory name to being without an apostrophe. This still did not work, ACT was searching for the directory with an Apostrophe.  Then I tried uninstalling and reinstalling ACT, still does not work, ACT is still looking for that same directory with the apostrophe. 

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Martin, I forgot to respond to your question above. Yes, the Demo database does back up, but when I try to back up my database to the C drive, my computer will not allow me to do this, when I try to backup to an external drive, same error as usual ???