Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 9 - the basics of creating and modifying fields and layouts

Act! 9 - the basics of creating and modifying fields and layouts

I have had ACT! 9 for two years and unsuccesfully tried to modify fields and layouts succesfully to produce membership records for a Rotary Club and a Masonic Lodge. I have also given up on similarly creating a customer database for 3000 business contacts. I know what fields are needed in each instance - all I require is a simple set of key menu instructions which start at square one with the default fields - this is how you change them, and then move to layouts, and then this is where you save them. The procedures to format an Excel spreadsheet to map to  Act! should finish the job - hopefully. For basic plain vanilla first time job surely this can be explained to a non techie? Anyone out there prepared to help - please! John B

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Act! 9 - the basics of creating and modifying fields and layouts

To create fields do the following:

1. Click Tools -> Define Fields
2. Click create new field on the left
3. Set the name, data type eg number/character/phone etc.
4. Click Finish, repeat for any fields you need
5. Close Define Fields
6. Click Tools Design Layouts
7. Backup your layout by doing a file -> save as and give it a new name
8. On the left you will see a 'tool box'.  Click Field and you cursor will change to a cross.
9. Draw the field onto the layout - a box will come up saying which field would you like to add.  Pick the newly created field from the list
10. Repeat for each field.  Note that memo and yes no fields have seperate buttons in the toolbox.
11. Close and save

Tom

Many thanks for such a prompt response  - will have another session over the holiday week end. May I report on progress!
Nickel Super Contributor

Of Course Smiley Happy
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hey John, which Lodge?

When I was an officer, I also used ACT! for my Lodge membership. I also designed the site 10 years ago - www.LodgeMarkOwen.org