Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 9/2007 fails to start - incorrect configuration

Act! 9/2007 fails to start - incorrect configuration

We have a copy of Act! Premium for Web 9 (2007) running on our Windows 2003 server that now fails to open. The error message is:

"C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\ActSage.exe This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem." The problem has started since installing the Act! SQL Server 2005 Update. From searching online I believe that this may result from corruption or misconfiguration of manifest and config files in applications written in .net (which this is).

Does anyone have a fix for this or is reinstallation the only solution?

Many thanks Graham

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 9/2007 fails to start - incorrect configuration

Graham,

Did you try this yet? 

I found this info  article 19421  in the ACT! Knowledgebase.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1942... 

Error: "C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\ActSage.exe This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."   Question   When you attempt to launch ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0) or ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0) you receive the following error message: "C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\ActSage.exe This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."   Answer   This can result from a corrupted ActSage.exe.config file. Use the following steps to replace this file:
  1. Uninstall ACT!. Please refer to the following Knowledge Base Answer for details:
      Title: How to Uninstall ACT! By Sage 2007 (9.0) and ACT! By Sage Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0)
      Answer ID: 19345

2. Launch Window Explorer (or My Computer).
  3. Browse to the installation folder for ACT!. (normally this is: C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows)
  4. Locate the ActSage.exe.config file, right-click the file, and then click Rename from the shortcut menu. Add .old to the existing name. The reinstallation of ACT! will recreate the file.
  5. Close Window Explorer (or My Computer).
  6. Reinstall ACT!.
  7. Launch ACT!.
Error: "C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\ActSage.exe This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."   Question   When you attempt to launch ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0) or ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0) you receive the following error message: "C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\ActSage.exe This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."   Answer   This can result from a corrupted ActSage.exe.config file. Use the following steps to replace this file:
  1. Uninstall ACT!. Please refer to the following Knowledge Base Answer for details:
      Title: How to Uninstall ACT! By Sage 2007 (9.0) and ACT! By Sage Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0)

2. Launch Window Explorer (or My Computer).
  3. Browse to the installation folder for ACT!. (normally this is: C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows)
  4. Locate the ActSage.exe.config file, right-click the file, and then click Rename from the shortcut menu. Add .old to the existing name. The reinstallation of ACT! will recreate the file.
  5. Close Window Explorer (or My Computer).
  6. Reinstall ACT!.
  7. Launch ACT!.

Error: "C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\ActSage.exe This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

Question
  When you attempt to launch ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0) or ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0) you receive the following error message: "C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\ActSage.exe This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." 

Answer
  This can result from a corrupted ActSage.exe.config file. Use the following steps to replace this file:
1.Uninstall ACT!. Please refer to the following Knowledge Base Answer for details:

2.Launch Window Explorer (or My Computer).
3.Browse to the installation folder for ACT!. (normally this is: C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows)
4.Locate the ActSage.exe.config file, right-click the file, and then click Rename from the shortcut menu. Add .old to the existing name. The reinstallation of ACT! will recreate the file.
5.Close Window Explorer (or My Computer).
6.Reinstall ACT!.
7.Launch ACT!.

Hope that helps - Cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html

Re: Act! 9/2007 fails to start - incorrect configuration

Thanks Bill. I had searched the KB but didn't find that article.

For me reinstalling Act! was unnecessary.  I restored a copy of the ActSage.exe.config file from a recent backup and it worked immediately.

Comparing the restored file with the corrupt one only the first line is different.

The first line in the restored copy is "<configuration>" but in my corrupt version it had changed to "<add name="ACTTraceLogger" type="Act.Shared.Diagnosti

cs.TraceLogger, Act.Shared.Diagnostics, Version=9.0.557.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa" />"

Hopefully that might help anyone else with the same issue.

Kind regards

Graham