Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2013 and Windows 8.1

Act 2013 and Windows 8.1

I have Act 2013 (version 15.1.108.0 in the "About Act" info) and I'm running Windows 8.  I'd like to upgrade to Windows 8.1, but their compatibility checker says the version of Microsoft SQL server I have isn't compatible.  What do I need to do to get my version of Act running on Windows 8.1?

Thanks,

Matthew

JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Act 2013 and Windows 8.1

I bought a new Toshiba Laptop with Win8.0 (Toshiba OSI OEM package OS, not installed from Win8 disc).
After configuring/ registering Win8 with a user Homegroup account using my Gmail not Microsoft Outlook.com account.
FYI my first try of configuring / registering Win8.0 I had created long ago an Outlook.com email which I used and installed all my programs under then changed in Win8.0 the Primary Homegroup account to my Gmail.com account. You may from the get go not have to register with Outlook.com email. Not sure since after performing a Win8.0 Recovery Clean install the registering with a Gmail account was accepted. Because it's stored with other Profile settings in Microsoft Cloud as Gmail being my Primary HomeGroup account. Later created a Local login user account and disconnected from the Homegroup to then login in with local account.

Two reasons for clean Win8.0 recovery install:
1) I messed up Registry settings so bad that I could not get MS Store (even after three free MS support phone calls that they remote into my PC) to complete the Download of Win8.1 and install it.
a) You have to login with Homegroup (gmail account for me) for MS Store to allow downloads of Free and paid Apps.

2) I messed up or altered the Registry settings and folder Shares/Security settings to get Win8 to see over my Hamachi VPN the XP Pro SP3 system. So I thought was the cause for my ACT! error "Object reference not set to an instance of an abject" when I tried to create new email with attached file from Documents Tab.
a) How to install on XP Pro PC a TCP/IP Protocol Hotfix for Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder, so Win8 can reliably see an XP PC that both have the same Workgorup name. Windows7 PC's operate under Homegroup so there will be no problem seeing PC of the same Homegroup name.
You'll see the XP PC in My Computer (Win8 now calls it "This PC") in File Explore left column under "Network".
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120 if older SP3 version)
b) Here is what I did to stop the error "object..."

After doing a Restore Clean Win 8.0 install I created a local login account before proceeding with Windows Update Check, then running Toshiba Service Station app checking Drivers needed before installing Win8.1 then more Windows update checks.

Hence you can run Windows compatibility Apps check to see if Microsoft has any current device drivers.
a) I do not see the need to go Win8 unless your getting a new PC with the OS.
b) If you want the new OS start with a clean install not upgrade from Win7 and while your at it if your hard drive is 5 years old get a new HD or SSD (awesome performance step up for ACT!)
c) I advise everyone to get Win8.1 installed before installing any App's because Win8.1 does some complex updates that can break Apps and or your just making the Registry larger and slowing down the PC.

After the last Win8.0 checks for updated proceed with the upgrade to 8.1 via MS Store to download.
Next install all your programs first always do Windows Update checks before / after loading last Office (I have 2007 SP3) then perform a create copy of Register's recovery point, and back up your whole PC. Then install ACT (I have 2013 (V15) Prem SP1 Hotfix4).
a) This way if there is an ACT! problem you don't have to start all over to get to a clean point.
b) I choose to install after login with my Local login name that is also created on the XP PC. This insures the ACL Credentials matched and not have to touch Shares/Securities of folders.

I will attach some screen shots incase anyone has a Hamachi VPN need which requires lots of Firewall exemptions inserted and Programs exemption list. As for my Anti Virus Program Trendmicro Max. Security 2014 it is empty efven though past ACT! KB articles point out what to add.  Frankly after doing reinstall I just noticed I had not done this but my VPN ACT! Network Sync is working. 

After all is done if you run compatibility checker read the response some state minor issue like SQL Server 2008 R2 Express maybe an available update. That is not needed from what I see so far to hold back ACT!

I did have to get into Registry to turn UAC completely off for Drag and Drop of files into Documents Tab and send email of files.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
In the right pane look for EnableLUA and modify its value to 0. Close regedit.

Disclaimer: This is not meant to encourage people to ditch UAC or even to use this method. Peeps who disable UAC are expected to know their way around

Setting the EnableLUA to 0 will make all metro apps stop working until you set it back to 1 and restart the computer.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5509-user-account-control-uac-change-settings-windows-8-a.html

Lastly even with Win8.1 it lacks the exact Windows7 Desktop/Start button and Application menu's so I bought for $3 www.Startisback.com.

Windows8_1Firewall_screenshoot.jpg

Windows8_1 Network_screenshoot1of2.jpg

Windows8_1 Network_screenshoot2of2.jpg

JM

Yup - goes double for me. I didn't even see a compatibility checker and installed 8.1. Nope... it's not running correctly. Seem I can still access information but the graphics are off. Oh, I couldn't open my database. Had to restore my backup (which went smoothly). jim
JM
Nickel Contributor

if you're having graphic issues with act display check display DPI is 96 or in Win8 they only call it smaller as one of the three choices.
JM

I went ahead and did the upgrade to Windows 8.1 because I don't really rely on Act that much on a daily basis. Somewhat to my surprise, Act continues to work as far as I can tell. Actually there were no issues at all that I've found yet, although I'll try to remember to come back to this thread if I come across any.
JM
Nickel Contributor

To access all your posts You can go into your account located near top left of Sign out, My settings, Help.
I'm glad the post of details is helping people to give Win8.1 a chance. As of today I would like to added keep checking for latest pc device drivers for win8.1 because my Toshiba just realesed a few this month that the utility service station did not remindme to get.

The graphics issues aren't bad, but when I try to bring up a calendar, for example, to schedule something, instead of the actual dates (which numerically increase in value), I'm getting some random digits and rows of 1's and 2's.   Definitely needs a driver update or something.

JM
Nickel Contributor

Can you attach a screenshot so I can understand exactly what you're describing.
JM

Here's the best I could do because the drop down menu would disappear everytime I clicked on the screen capture tool.  Still, you can see that there are missing numbers and some other anomylies (date up top incomplete.... small calendar to the right is not showing up).  j.

Capture.JPG

JM
Nickel Contributor

I attached my screen shot and circled in red what I can just see what your talking about. the Title headers truncated or cut down.

Did you check in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display that its set as Smaller-100%, Check the box Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays, and the drop down dialog under Change only the text size for

Title bars / Palette titles set at 11 and Bold is NOT checked.

Menus / Message / Icons / Tool tips set at 9

Would not hurt to run the Adjust ClearType text

JM_ScreenCapt_Calendar.jpg

JM