Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2013 Upgrade - remote users can't connect

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act 2013 Upgrade - remote users can't connect

Our setup is as follows: We 've got 2 ACT licenses - one acts as the server and the second one, a client.

Both were on ACT 2012. The client connects to the database on the server via the company's LAN network.

I upgraded the server to ACT 2013 SP1. I also had to change the location of the database on the server. Everythings working fine on the server.

I then upgrade the client to Act 2013 SP1. After the install, when starting up, I get a login screen. Im able to login - theres a splash screen with a progress bar that goes full. The spash screen disappers and no window is displayed. The Act 2013 icon on the taskbar is highlighted, so the application is running, but the actual window isn't visible/ or is hidden.

How do I go about fixing this issue? Im in the IT department and I don't know a lot about ACT.

How do I go about changing the configuration which points to the remote server database directory?

Many thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author croydon.dias.regalfm
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Act 2013 Upgrade - remote users can't connect

I fixed the problem by uninstalling ACT

Delete the registry keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->ACTBKUP2

Delete the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ACT and C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT folders

Reinstalled ACT and everything worked as expected.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Croydon.dias.regalfm,

Welcome to the ACT! Community!

Moving the database on the server shouldn't cause the remotes to fail to sync, the remotes are pointing to a 'machine' and port - the ACT! program running on the server will be listening to the port for incoming syncs.

It sounds like the ACT! window is displaying outside of the monitor viewing area, this can occur for many reasons - a common reason is the removal of a 2nd monitor.  Here is an article with instructions for moving the window back into view: KB Article 23807

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

The splash screen displays a 'Logon completed' message. We have verified on the server, that the user is active.

I can only connect to the client PC via RDP as the client is located overseas. However, when remoting in, all windows (regardless of the number of monitors setup) should show up on one screen, right? I did try the steps mentioned in the article (linked by you) but wasn't able to fix the issue.

We've disabled firewalls on both PCs and have verified that the client can telnet to the server.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

We have a third license (the 2nd client) - which I managed to install from scratch and got it working properly.

I noticed that the background application window shows up in client 2

Client 2

It doesn't show up in client 1 though

andrewk.PNG

I did a reinstall for client 1, but am still facing the same issue.

Client 1 was an upgrade from 2012.

Client 2 was a new 2013 install.

Solution
Accepted by topic author croydon.dias.regalfm
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I fixed the problem by uninstalling ACT

Delete the registry keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->ACTBKUP2

Delete the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ACT and C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT folders

Reinstalled ACT and everything worked as expected.