Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2013 Unable to send emails

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2013 Unable to send emails

To add some clarity to the complexity of the problem, Office 2013 comes in 12 different editions including three editions for retail outlets, two editions for volume licensing channel, five subscription-based editions available through MS 365 program, the web application edition known as Office Web Apps and the Office RT edition made for tablets and mobile devices. These are delivered in new methods as most retail stores do not offer physical media, only boxes with serial numbers in them. Instead of installing a classic application you stream the installation down. Some where in this Click To Run optimization I believe MS took some shortcuts as to what they are providing their customers to speed up the process. 

When delivered through the CTR virtualization you may not have all API connection from Outlook to support connecting with third party software. 

You can detect whether you are using a CTR version of Office by following instructions on this website. 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff864733.aspx

Pre Release builds of Office 2013 that we had available to test were not stream installed like what they are selling now. Even today the MSDN downloads that we use to test install using MSI packages that deliver all the files and do not show this problem.

I understand the importance of resolving this issue but we are unlikely to have a prompt solution. This requires a significant effort to understand how to move forward without API access and transparently this is not our top priority. 

Our development team's immediate focus is packing up our next release and then we will move back to this issue. If technically possible we will provide any solution via a hotfix for previous version customers. 

I apologize for any frustration that this has caused and thank you for your continued involvement on the community. 

Benjamin Lederer

Product Manager for Act!

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Well, there you have it...not a priority. You can bet that paying for an upgrade won't be a priority for any of us either. Thanks for the let down. 

Don't be surprised as you weep when your next release is not selling due to lack of concern for your current customers. I can't think of anyone posting on this site that would recommend a product where the customer service just told it's current customers they aren't a priority. Looks like this products final Act!

Bronze Elite Contributor

I appreciate your perspective, but it's certainly not the full picture. Our priorities are absolutely our customers. 

Our customers' needs are met in a variety of ways. The majority of our customers will be served by seeing the new features we are completing and ensuring that they get delivered on target. Where possible we will allocate time dedicated to this unplanned effort. 

In this case, the change was initiated not by a defect in our product, but in a fundamental change that MS made in how they go to market. We have made no claims to full support of Office 2013, even though we can show in some cases how it will work. 

I hope that the transparency I am showing helps you make the right decisions for you. 

I urge you to look for the ways we can continue to provide productivity while we work on a solution. 

Copper Contributor

I'm assuming that Act 2014 will work with locally installed versions of MS Office 365. Because, the way the MS are aggressivley selling it means the 365 version will be the most common licence very soon and it would be stupid not to accomodate it .

That being the case, They probably already know what is required to fix this for us but choose not to so as to maximise sales of ACT 2014.Smiley Mad

Bronze Elite Contributor

Jimjam,

I am not on top of all the details, however can you advise, for yourself, what doesn't work, just that you cannot click on an email address in ACT! and be able to send an email through Outlook or is it more than that? 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Bronze Elite Contributor

That is not the case. At this point we do not have a solution for any version of Act!

Gleo, it's more than just not being able to send from Act, but nonetheless, that's failure enough. You seem to be defending Act in your recent posts, and by defending, you aren't offering any solutions. I'm not going to feel better because you explain to me how hard it is to program software, or that I should have some patience. My customers aren't going to stick around if my communication tool fails me, nor do they care if programming is hard (but thanks for letting us in on that little secret). 

In the end, this is still a very expensive product that does not do what it's supposed to do, and sending email from Act is, for many of us, its primary purpose. 

Bronze Elite Contributor

JimDandy,

You will note that I pointed out I am not an apologist for ACT! or Swiftpage, however without knowing what it is that is causing the grief then I can't offer a solution, however if those commenting here can advise me the key things that need fixing I may well be able to help. Try me.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Alright. I'm back from vacation, and I haven't posted on here in a couple of weeks. I was assuming that everything would be fixed by now, but it seems as if the engineers at Swiftpage are still in the process of acclimating to the ACT! project and analyzing its codebase. 

I've implemented some workarounds at my client's office, and am eagerly awaiting the fix for this, which I am quite certain is a Microsoft API issue, and should just involve using a different function call somewhere in the ACT! program.

One comment though, if I may: Benjamin... You gotta give it a rest, man. Read my lips: YOU ARE SCARING THE PANTS OFF OF EVERYBODY IN THIS FORUM BECAUSE ALL YOU ARE SAYING TO THEM IS THAT YOU DON'T HAVE ANY ANSWERS AND EVERYTIME YOU TRY TO RESTATE THE PROBLEM YOU ADD MORE CONFUSION. 

Seriously, just give it a rest. If people want to read that you don't know what's going on, this can't be fixed, CTR vs non-CTR, blah blah blah then they can just read the beginning of the forum thread. Just.Give.Swiftpage.A.Couple.Weeks.To.Fix.This. Seriously dude, if you have to write something about this just write an email to the Swiftpage engineering team, and if you want to report something to us on this thread just tell us what those guys say. 

The way you are going about "answering" people's posts is probably scaring the pants off all of the people (ACT! customers) in this thread, and oh yeah this thread is also on the Internets and is like a PR1 result for many ACT! search phrases. So... talk to your new engineeering team at Swiftpage. I think we all understand what the problem is by now, so unless you want to make an public announcement that ACT! is never going to support Windows 8 or Office 365, I don't think there is much more to say until the fix gets done. 

Copper Contributor

Hi Gleo, just start reading at post one.  Essentially, the only person you can mail is yourself. Other interactions such as letters and merges don't record history.  This is with local (full) installs of the Office 365 office suite.  They have had plenty of time to sort it out, seems theyed rather have us buy the fix in the guise of Act2014.  Unless of course you can help.