Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2013 Unable to send emails

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2013 Unable to send emails

[ Edited ]

My CTR version on my machine appears to working with ACT! 2013 now. When I installed Office 2013 CTR a few months, I was receiving the same interface errors reported here when trying to create an email from ACT! or sync contacts/calendar. I could use the email integration functions from the Outlook side (Add-Ins tab), but not from ACT!. I had not tested this for a few weeks, but yesterday it started working for me. I do have Office 2010 installed as well, but was still getting the errors. Also, my operating system is Windows 7. Unfortunately, I have no idea why the integration started working. I have done no updates and no troubleshooting.

However, I do a Windows 8 machine with just Office 2013 CTR installed (no Office 2010), and I am still unable to integrate.

This what I have observed and experienced - I have no further information to offer at this time. This information has been passed on to the ACT! developers at Swiftpage and hopefully they can use it.

Additionally, I urge those of you participating in this thread to post courteously and professionally to ensure this thread remains productive and informative.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I am using Windows 7 and Office 2013

Office Version

I have never had a previous version of Office installed. 

Is this working for anyone? 

Specifically CTR version of Office. 

Greig mentioned that his is working and he had a previous version of Office installed. 

Copper Contributor

Benjamin - I'm running window 7 with Office 2013 on a new machine that has never had another version of office on it. Mine is CTR and is not working. The only difference in mine and yours that I can see is that I have Microsoft Office Professional 2013 (not professional plus).

Error message reads - Could not retrieve IMessage: Interface not supported

Again, the primary issue is NOT with the "click to run" or CTR version of Office. 

It is perfectly understandable that ACT! would not be able to interact with cloud-based Microsoft apps or closely integrate with them. 

The primary issue has to do with why ACT! won't integrate properly with MS Office and Outlook when it is LOCALLY INSTALLED.

From reading Ghollister's post, he seems to understand the issue and its ramifications. He clearly lays out that ACT! is not able to run correctly and integrate with Outlook under Windows 8, even when the MS Office applications are locally installed. 

How can anyone expect ACT! to magically synchronize with Microsoft's cloud apps when it won't even run with MS Office locally installed on the machines of the tech support guys? 

Ghollister, 

Please read the following question and answer it for me.

1. Is Sage no longer supporting ACT! ? 

In your email, you say that the information regarding this issue have been "passed on" to the developers at "Swiftpage" and you seem to strongly imply that it is now out of your (Sage's) hands. I bought ACT! 2013 less than 10 days ago directly from Sage, and it was my understanding that the product was being supported. I was also assuming that there would be future versions and upgrades of this software as well. Please clarify this. 

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Sage has sold ACT! to Swiftpage - all support and development of ACT! are now with Swiftpage. After today (5/31), Swiftpage will be moderating this forum as well.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Sage sold the Act! product line to Swiftpage in April. 

See some details http://www.swiftpage.com/en-us/one/for-ACT-partners-and-customers.shtml.

You can read some of my thoughts on the change in a recent blog article. http://community.act.com/t5/The-Act-Journal/Notes-from-a-Swifty-ACTCRM-Swiftpage/ba-p/242563

The same product team is supporting Act! and you will be interacting with many of the same people. It saddens me to say that Greig specifically will not be moving on with the Act! team, but I have faith in our organization to follow the exemplary example he has put forward. 

We are in the process of completing the transition. For instance, over the weekend we are removing Sage from the website and order systems. I'm confident that we will maintain if not improve our service levels as we move to the future. I appreciate your patience as we overcome some immediate obstacles. 

In regards to this specific issue, we have QA tested Office 2013 on Windows 8 before the launch of Act! 2013 SP1 and did not run into the problems faced here. I believe that there is a detail that we are missing that has the potential to provide us a solution without development involvement. This detail will also help spur on development if needed.

I have asked a member from our R&D group to run through a suite of tests against this again. I hope to have some more information by Monday at the latest. 

I understand the frustration and your expectations. Your involvement in this forum is appreciated. I offer a commitment to understand and communicate what the problem is and at that time provide a realistic goal of when we can offer a solution. 

Thank you again for continuing to be involved. 

Benjamin

Product Manger for Act!

Nickel Super Contributor

This will be somewhat of a cross post from another post, so I apologize to anyone that may be reading this twice. 

I have been testing and working with Office 2013 (Profession Plus), ACT 2013 (15.1) and Windows 8 Pro for the majority of the day and so far, I have not really had an issue with the integration. Specifically, I have been unable to reproduce the 'imessage' error message. 

I have tested using 2 methods.

1. A normal install of Office followed by an normal install of ACT. In this case, all functionality existed that I was expecting. 
  2. Office 2013 set to install the componants on first run, followed by a normal install of ACT. I ran into some issues with email history. I believe the issues I encountered would most likely be resolved by removing and reinstalling ACT so that the program has proper access to all required files.

What I was not able to test, was using Office Click-to-Run. However, having said that, before I go any further, I want to stress that I don't believe the 'iMessage' error is necessarily related to the CTR install. We have a knowledge base article with troubleshooting steps to resolve this error for fully supported/tested versions of Office. 

Error: "Could Not Retrieve IMessage: Interface is Not Supported" When Attempting to Write Email Mess...

There is of course a very good chance that there is another factoring causing the error message, and it's a variable that I am just not aware of. Or, it's a machine state, I am unable to get into. 

Thanks,

Amanda

Copper Contributor

Amanda - Running Windows 7 and Office Professional 2013 CTR. The knowledge based article that you referred to did not reference MSO 2013 but I did try the fixmapi.exe anyway but with no luck. Still getting the same error message. Any other suggestions?

Amanda,

I looked at that article and I am confused. (I had actually found that last week, when searching the web for info on this issue.)

Specifically, the article says:

You attempt to send an e-mail message using ACT! E-mail when you get the following error message: "Could not retrieve IMessage: Interface is not supported".

To correct this issue, please attempt the following the steps below:
  1. Close all open programs on your machine.
  2. Launch My Computer and browse to the following location:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32
  3. Locate the MAPI32.dll file. Verify the version of this file. If the file version is anything other than 1.0.2536.0 (Office 2003), 12.0.6413.1000 (Office 2007), or 14.0.4760.1000 (Office 2010) then the file is out of date and you need to proceed with the steps in this document.
  4. Within the same directory location (C:\WINDOWS\System 32), double-click fixmapi.exe to update the MAPI32.dll file and close the window.
  5. Test.

And doesn't specify anything about Office 2013 or Windows 8. 

Are you saying that you are not able to duplicate this bug?  If you do in fact have full functionality of ACT! 2013 under Windows 8 and Office/Outlook 365, please post a video A. showing ACT! composing and sending emails under Windows 8 Office 365 conditions, just so we know we are talking about the same thing, and also B. a video showing the steps used in configuring the software.

For my part, I installed and then reinstalled Office 365 locally, have installed and then reinstalled ACT! 2013, and have gone through the ACT! Outlook configuration multiple times and followed suggestions from this thread also, yet I still get either the  Imessage error message or the IMAPI error message. As I recall it morphed into the IMAPI one, or that may have been when "compose email" was invoked instead of "Email" from within ACT! I haven't looked at this in a week now.

In any case, if you are certain that ACT! should run correctly under Windows 8 and Office 365, please clarify the above MAPI32.dll issue for users of Windows 8 and Office 365, i.e., please tell us exactly what version of MAPI32.dll you think we should have in order to fix this problem. 

Also, please clarify precisely what service packs or hot fixes should be installed or if there is a new one. My version of ACT! is I assume the very newest build, purchased and downloaded last week. 

Is there a hot fix or service pack necesssary for that version? Last week I found my version of ACT! was newer than the service pack and so the service pack would not install (I assume the service pack changes were already in my build). 

Also, please clarify what this issue is... is it caused by having a mismatched MAPI32.dll (this is being tested on a brand new Windows 8 machine with a brand new install of 365) or is it caused by not having a service pack? Or both. Or neither. 

Also, are we saying now that this IS a bug/known issue, or are we saying that it is not a bug/known issue? 

ok thanks. Sorry if I sound impatient, this is very time critical for us I cannot handle many more vague or open-ended responses to this issue.