01-20-2013 12:24 PM
When trying to update my database as required for SP1, I got a Schema error. I talked to their tech team and they told me there is no easy fix. I had to send my database into Sage for them to manual fix the problem.
01-21-2013 06:04 AM
01-21-2013 06:28 AM
Actually, I didn't try anything. I returned the database to your techs, who fixed it "manually" and returned it to me already updated. I posted this information because, before returning my db for further repair, I had sought in vein a knowledgeable article or any other information on how to resolve the issue. Hopefully, your response might be useful to any of those who experience the same problem.