Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2013 Pro SP1 (15.1.108.0) - Object Reference Not Set to an Instance of an Object

Act 2013 Pro SP1 (15.1.108.0) - Object Reference Not Set to an Instance of an Object

We have an installation of ACT! Pro 2013. Recently we were getting the error message, "object reference not set to an instance of an object" whenever we clicked on an email address in our contacts, didn't matter which of the two computers we used. We have a simple network setup, only the two computers. I looked around online to fix the problem and found that SP1 for ACT! Pro was supposed to fix the problem, installed the service pack as described. It did work, for about a day before I saw the error message again. Only thing I notice about the error is that only occurs when Outlook's main window is open. If Outlook is closed the New Message window opens up after some time, it is a bit excessive; it seems to take around 30 seconds for anything to happen (error message or New Message window).

Some specifics about the two systems.

System 1 ("Server")

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

Act Pro 2013 SP1, 15.1.108.0

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 (32-bit)/ Microsoft Outlook 2010 (32-bit)

System 2 

Windows Vista Home Premium

Act Pro 2013 SP1, 15.1.108.0

Microsoft Office Home & Business 2010 (32-bit)/ Microsoft Outlook 2010 (32-bit)

Both computers have the identical problem, and everything happens in the same way; system 2 (vista) is a little slower, but that's to be expected with it being a slightly older computer than the other. Any ideas, or any additional information I need to provide.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act 2013 Pro SP1 (15.1.108.0) - Object Reference Not Set to an Instance of an Object

Hello Axle2152,

Welcome to the ACT! Community!

Since these are Vista and Windows 7, I would try disabling UAC and then testing the function.  Here are articles with instructions:

Windows 7

Vista

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: Act 2013 Pro SP1 (15.1.108.0) - Object Reference Not Set to an Instance of an Object

I do believe the Vista workstation does have UAC disabled, and UAC on the "server" is on, but previously had not been any issue with ACT with existing settings. I will have them disable UAC on both machines, and let you know. Assuming turning off UAC doesn't make any difference do you have any other thoughts?