Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2013 Lost access to Groups

Copper Super Contributor

Act 2013 Lost access to Groups

After installing Act 2013 over Act 2012 and updating my database, I soon lost access to my groups.  When I clicked the Groups tab in the left-hand column got a message saying that there was an error and I should contact my Administrator. .No amount of Repair, or Reindexing or the like would fix it.   Finally I had to send the database to Act for a (paid) repair.  They told he how I could have fixed it (although it's undocumented).  It developed I had created a group without an index number.  How?  Who knows.  Most likely I had accidently I had started creating a new group and then for whatever reason Act shut down suddently.  Anyway, the way to fix the problem is to go to View in the TOP, horozontal menu in Act (not the verticle menu at the far left (or right)), select Groups,  identify the guilty group, and delete it. The problem is fixed and the Groups are again accessible.  How does one identify the guilty group? Probably because it is unfamiliar, or has a severly truncated name with only a couple of letters.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2013 Lost access to Groups

[ Edited ]

Hello rconant,
Thank you for posting this issue and the solution. We are glad to hear it was resolved. We will make sure this gets documented in our Knowledgebase. Do you recall or have a note of the specific error message you were getting?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Super Contributor

It said Schema failed.  I don't think it provided any more information.  However, if you want, I'll send you via a private message the contact information for the tech who resolved this issue for me and who was the source of the information I conveyed in the posting.  (His initials are "T.V.").

Platinum Elite Contributor

Thank you - we actually work in the same department. I am working with him to get more information. Can you clarify one thing for me - did you say you unable to access Groups from the Navigation Bar, but were able to access them from View > Groups in the main menu? And were you able to identify in the list the Group that was causing the issue?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Super Contributor

I would have been able to access them from View>Groups in the main menu but not from the Navigation Bar, but I never thought to look.  TJ understood that as he specifically referred me to the main menu.  He named the Group that was causing the problem, but even if he hadn't, I would have quickly identified it from the main menu had I thought to look because its displayed name was only two nonsense letters.

Copper Super Contributor

Act 2013 Lost access to Groups in Remote Database

Well, the problem with accessing Groups wasn't complete fixed.  It develops that if one generates a remote database, groups in that remote database may be not be populated even if the main database can access them.  However, there is a fix described here in the Knowledgebase.  However, unfortunately it is not documented that the two bat files each must be run as an Administrator, which can only be accomplished by right clicking them in the folder to which they were downloaded and selecting the "Run as Administrator" option.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act 2013 Lost access to Groups in Remote Database

Note: Article 30558 has been updated with Note to use 'Run as administrator' option.
Greg Martin
Sage