Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2012 upgrade, now can't add, edit or change Companies.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act 2012 upgrade, now can't add, edit or change Companies.

[ Edited ]

Upgrading to Act 2012 Pro on new Dell with Win 7 pro, from Act 9 (2007) on HP laptop XP SP3.

HELP! Now  I CAN'T create or change Companies or Divisions; add contacts to Companies or Divisions; or promote divisions.

All attempts get error message: 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' I have no idea what that means!

Installed Act 2012 (demo, latest from supplier), single user account (=admin).

Did database repair and backup on old machine. Copied backup to ext HDD. (311 companies, 53 Divisions, 654 contacts).

Did Restore As into Act 2012 on new machine.

All looked good, everything visible, can do contact activities, changes, create new contact etc ok.

Sync with new (empty) Outlook 2010 also worked, all contacts/companies visible.

Everything works on Demo (Hussman) database ok.

Just can't do anything with companies now.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2012 upgrade, now can't add, edit or change Companies.

Hi Scott,

First I tried a full un-istal/re-install of Act 2012, including removing Sql server and any Act files and databases. Restored Act9 database (Restore as) to the fresh Act 2012, same result, companies still non-functional, but can do Activities etc.

SO I found Act 11 online and downloaded and installed it on a separate machine. Restored Act9 database (Restore as) - and it all worked! Didn't bother to run the Act 11 service packs or hotfix4 as I had no intention of doing anything functional with Act 11.

Backed up the database in Act 11, Restored As on my new machine into Act 2012 - and all works!! (so far; all the company functions are working as they should:- create new company; promote division; make company a division; add contacts to new company etc, etc.

It appears the jump from Act9 (2007) to Act 14 (2012) was just too big. I picked Act 11 as it was the last (apparently) of the databases in the style of 9 and 10. I believe there were more fundamental changes to the way it works from Act 12 on.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Super Contributor

Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks Scott. I had found that article and went through the most likely scenarios listed but none are the same as mine. What I did get from it is it is a .NET issue, and it would appear that the companies area of my db is corrupted. I assumed that it happened in the db upgrade. I have 2 ideas to try:

1. Temporarily install Act 11 (2009) on the old machine and upgrade to that as an interim step, then to 2012.

2. Delete all the companies on the new machine, then import them as csv file. Deleting 311 companies and 53 divisions 1 at a time doesn't sound like fun, unless anyone knows a quick way.  Only problem with this is that I can't create a new company, so will importing new companies be any different?

Cheers, Graham

Bronze Super Contributor

I am inclined to be curious to try the ACT! 11 as the interim step...

Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Scott,

First I tried a full un-istal/re-install of Act 2012, including removing Sql server and any Act files and databases. Restored Act9 database (Restore as) to the fresh Act 2012, same result, companies still non-functional, but can do Activities etc.

SO I found Act 11 online and downloaded and installed it on a separate machine. Restored Act9 database (Restore as) - and it all worked! Didn't bother to run the Act 11 service packs or hotfix4 as I had no intention of doing anything functional with Act 11.

Backed up the database in Act 11, Restored As on my new machine into Act 2012 - and all works!! (so far; all the company functions are working as they should:- create new company; promote division; make company a division; add contacts to new company etc, etc.

It appears the jump from Act9 (2007) to Act 14 (2012) was just too big. I picked Act 11 as it was the last (apparently) of the databases in the style of 9 and 10. I believe there were more fundamental changes to the way it works from Act 12 on.

Bronze Super Contributor

Glad you got it!  Sorry to hear it took so much to get there.  Kind of like trying to upgrade a Windows XP machine to Windows 7!

Yes, ACT! 2010 had significant changes to the database structure with the introduction of the Sales Opportunities as "main" entities, so you assessment is likely accurate.

Enjoy ACT! 2012!

Is there any simpler fix for this? I don't have an extra machine at my disposal plus I have ACT installed on a server, my computer and 2 laptops!

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Melissa