Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2012 upgrade - SQL server express failed to load

Copper Contributor

Act 2012 upgrade - SQL server express failed to load

[ Edited ]
Upgrading to Act 2012 and the SQL server express did not finish loading. The error message is to look at installation guide. Where is installation guide? Why did this fail? How do I correct this? It already deleted my previous previous act program
Thanks.
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act 2012 upgrade - SQL server express failed to load

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same problem. When I got the prompt (during initial installation) to reboot, step five in this installation guide, I pressed "No", not "Yes". Not sure if that's why I am getting the error now. Now, I'm unable to finish the upgrade. I went to add/remove and uninstalled Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup (English) and tried to reinstall Sage ACT! Premium again but no luck. This is the message: "SQL Server did not install correctly. Please review the installation guide, the product requirements, and then retry the installation. If the problem continues, contact Sage ACT! Service and Support."

Platinum Super Contributor

For issues with an SQL installation, the first steps to resolve this are (assuming no other applications use SQL):

- Uninstall all Microsoft SQL components from Add/Remove Programs (Programs and Features)

- Browse to C:\Program Files and rename the folder 'Microsoft SQL Server' (ex: add '.old' to the end)

- Restart the computer

- Manually install SQL and the ACT! instance (ACT7) using the instructions in this article: KB Article 26994

If this installation fails, it will provide more detail about the SQL issue.

If this installation is successful, you will then install ACT! and it will connect to the instance just created.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I was having problems with SQL install and was able to resolve it by running installation from the original path where the files were extracted.  When installing ACT! from a download, the self-extracting executable upzips the files to a path on the root drive (ACT_Pro_2012 in my case.)  The installer seems to prefer this location.  When I moved the directory to another location, I got a SQL install error.  There must be something in the install script that refers to this specific path.  Not sure if this will help everyone, but run the install from the path where they were originally extracted.