Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2012 --> Google Setup Issues

Act 2012 --> Google Setup Issues

[ Edited ]

Act 2012 & Google, Calendar, Tasks & Gmail & Gmail Contacts

I have an Android phone. My information is on Google/Gmail, which automatically syncs to my phone. So the issue is getting it to Google/Gmail from Act 2012

I'm trying to set up best configuration to get this all working through Act.

1. Google Calendar & Tasks, Gmail Contacts

Act 2012 does not sync the notes field, so it looks like I can us CompanionLink to sync Contacts and Tasks. It seems the only way to see the tasks on my phone would be to have Act enter them in my calendar. If they go into my calendar I will not be able to check them off. Is there another way to do this? For tasks, I don't need to use Google Tasks if I can get them directly to my Droid. Either way is fine, but I need to check them off and use subtasks.

2. Gmail

Act2012 does not send the email, it only records history of emails sent in gmail. What would be the easiest way to set this up so I can send email?

Do I need to incorporate using Outlook? If so, how do I do that so I have the emails on Gmail too? Would I set up Outlook up using imap or do I need to use pop? Also, If I have to use Outlook, then I will need to get my contacts synced on there too.

Help on getting this set up would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act 2012 --> Google Setup Issues

I don't have a best method for question 1, but for question 2...

You can set up ACT! to send an email to a contact through the Web Info tab.  Instructions are at this Fast Tip Friday post: Fast Tip - Gmail in Sage ACT!

Incorporating Outlook to access Gmail can be done, but it will depend on what you want to achieve to determine if it is necessary.  If you do this, you would no longer need the Google integration - you would set up ACT!/Outlook integration and synchronization. 

Greg Martin
Sage

I would like to be able to send emails to people individually and also to groups of people. It sounds like to send them to groups would require Outlook? Is that correct?

If so, I would have to set up ACT!/Outlook integration. Would I setup Outlook to get gmail with imap or pop3? What does Act require?

I also send emails from my phone too, which of course sync with gmail. Would I first have to pull the emails up on Outlook before the histories would go to my phone?

Thank You for your help.

That is correct; to be able to send a single email to multiple contacts from within ACT! would require the use of Outlook.  I haven't set up Outlook with a Gmail account, so I'm not sure of the settings required.  Keeping in mind that with the Google/Gmail integration, if you send an email to multiple contacts from Gmail - it will be recorded in the ACT! database during the Google sync.

ACT! will just be integrating with Outlook at that point, it wouldn't know that it is a Gmail account. 

To the recording of emails sent from your phone: I 'expect' that when Outlook accesses the Gmail account, it will update itself with any new emails sent/received.  At that time, you can use the Quick Attach or Attach to Contact options that will be present in Outlook to attach the emails to the ACT! contacts.  When sending from Outlook, the emails will be automatically attached to contacts (same as when initiated from within ACT!).

If your ultimate desire is simply to get the History items on the phone, you may be better off using CompanionLink.  Synchronizing ACT! contacts into Outlook does not include Notes and History.

Greg Martin
Sage

[ Edited ]

For email:

So from what I'm understanding, if I use the Google/Gmail sync it will attach all the history (subject and message) in the Act database. Then I can use Outlook for emails I'm sending to multiple people, but the messages will actually sync through Google/Gmail sync, not Outlook. That's all good, but is there any way to keep the attachment on some emails? Would I be able to do that part in Outlook?

If sync'd through Outlook, I see the sync can be set up for subject and message or subject, message, and attachment. I need to keep the attachments on some emails, but not others. Can this be done selectively?

I think which way to sync the email will be decided upon how an email attachment can be handled.

You will set a default value for attaching emails (ex: Subject, message, and attachments); however, when sending an email through Outlook, you can change the 'Record History' option at that time, and only affecting that email.  It is done through the Add-ons tab within the Outlook new email message. 

Just thinking it through... if you have Outlook set up to access your Gmail account, and integrated with ACT! - when you send the email through Outlook, it will record to ACT!.  When the Google sync is initiated, ACT! will record any emails that have not been through the Google sync process and record them.  I believe in this scenario you will end up with duplicated emails attached to the database (the ones sent through Outlook).

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks! It sounds like I should just let the emails syc with Act through Outlook and not set up anything between Act and Gmail. Any email I send through my phone or on Gmail will just sync when I open Outlook.

Thank You very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

This does not work.  I have the same problem.  I have Act sync with gmail but I need to have outlook also sync to gmail to have it work.  When i do that I get all kinds of duplicates and conflicts on my Calendar.  

Please help

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello jsh,
Syncing Outlook with two applications can cause duplication, especially if you are entering the same activity/appointment in two different places. Please describe the exact processes you are using with ACT!, Google, and Outlook regarding activities and calendar sync.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

The whole Google/Gmail integration has been more than a pain but I may have it figgured out.  Before I was syncing ACT to Goolge and outlook to google and had duplcate apts etc.  Now I have changed that and I am syncing ACT to Outlook and the using google sync to sync outlook to google.  Not suure if it is 100% yet but it seems to be working.

I am having a problem when outlook contacts are not uploaded to ACT even after the add outlook contacts to outlook is checked.