Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2012, Windows 8, SQL Issue

Act 2012, Windows 8, SQL Issue

I just got a new Windows 8 ultrabook (nice).  And I installed Act 2012.  But I can't get it to create new or open existing database(s).  

When I go to open an existing database I get this error message:

"The SWL Database instance is unavailable."

When I go to create a new database I get this meesagge:

"The database {0} could not be acccessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on this server."

Then when I click "OK" on this window, another window pops up that says"

"The SQL Database Service is not started."

I have un-installed/re-installed the software 2x.  

I have been using Act for a number of years, but new to Win8.  Not sure what to do.

I don't see this issue reported elsewhere in the Community.

Any feedback or advice is welcome.

Thanks SG

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2012, Windows 8, SQL Issue

[ Edited ]

Hello sgargiulo,
Welcome to the ACT! Community. See if the SQL Server service is started. Instructions are in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2821...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Act 2012, Windows 8, SQL Issue

This did not work.

These instructions are for Win7 + older - I have Win8.  I am not an IT guy, I am a sales guy.  I go to MS's SQL's site and the instructions to try to code SQL in the command prompt are way toooo technical.

As I mentioned in a prev post I have been using Act for yrs.  But the software is not at all user friendly anymore.  I'm just a sales rep trying to manage contacts/calendar.  Act was always a better option than Outlook/others, but not any more. Too technical, too buggy.

I have spent hrs trying to figure this out.  What a waste of my time this software has become.  What a shame.