Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2012 Pro and AddressGrabber Standard 2013

Act 2012 Pro and AddressGrabber Standard 2013

I have ACT pro 2012 version 14.1.  I also have the Address Grabber Standard 2013.  Both have worked fine recently, but last week I had Geek Squad do a tune-up of my computer to address some problems not related to Act or Address Grabber.

After the tune up, when I tried useing ACT with Address Grabber, I started getting the error messages from Act and Address Grabber that I had not seen before.  The messages say:

Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer?

Program name: Act

Publisher Sage

File origin: Hard drive on this computer

I click yes.

Then I get a message that says:

The destination application needs to be open before initiating a transfer.  Please try again.  (Address grabber info). 

I already had Address Grabber and Act open, so I have no clue as to why it is consistently asking me that question.

Every time I try to use Address Grabber and Act I get these reoccurring messages, and address are not grabbed by AG and put into Act.. 

Can someone please tell me how to get back to having Act 2012 and  Address Grabber Standard 2013 working seamlessly, as they did before the Geek Squad did their “tune-up.”  Just trying to find the answer is robbing our little non-profit of hours of work.  And tech support is again proving that tech support is not tech support.

Is the era of non-profits and companies using Act on their computers coming to an end with Act moving to a subscription service?

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Act 2012 Pro and AddressGrabber Standard 2013

Have you contacted Geek Squad?  I would think since they broke it that they should fix it.

In the meantime I would try telling your antivirus or firewall software to allow the Act! app and the Address Grabber app.  That will probably fix it.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

geek Squad ate about 4 hours yesterdayand said I should upgrade (pay them more) to big business plan,while I am a simple one man show .They have offered to reinstall Act --but since they screwed my program up so far I am hesitant to have them do that.

Any advice as to what I should tell geek squad to do when they call back?  Does ACt staff read this forum?  Do they see what might be the problem? I told them they should contact Act and talk to their techs, since they caused the problems and should understand tech talk better than I.

How do i tell my "antivirus or firewall software to allow the Act! app and the Address Grabber ap" to go through?

Silver Super Contributor

Act! tech support has limited experience troubleshooting issues involving 3rd party applications.  You'd have better luck calling AddressGrabber for support.

How you add exceptions for applications depends on the antivirus or firewall software you are using.  Most of the big ones have pretty extensive knowledge base documentation on how to do it.  It's also possible that the Geek Squad put MalwareBytes or some other software package on your system that is interfering with the two applications working.  I don't think simply reinstalling Act! will fix it.  I would try calling AddressGrabber and see if they have an easy fix for you or look in their knowledge base.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!