Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2012 Parallels 7 Win 7 file won't restore

Act 2012 Parallels 7 Win 7 file won't restore

Hi Community,

I moved my new version of Act 2012 to my MacBook Pro using Parallels 7, Windows 7 because my Dell laptop died. I have the new version of Act up and running, but it refused to restore my file.

Here is the error message I receive.

You are attempting to restore to a non-local drive: \\psf\Home\ . . . < goes on to say this is not a local drive (which it is).

I guess it's looking for c:\\ or something like that, but I don't get that in Parallels.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Laurie

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Act 2012 Parallels 7 Win 7 file won't restore

I have not used Parallels or a Mac, but ACT! expects to see syntax like this:  C:\actdata to specifty a local drive.  It apparently assumes that using a UNC format - "\\pfs\actdata"  - would be a remote drive.

I would think that Parallels must have some way of creating the file system to look more native to the Windows environment.

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much for your suggestion about mapping drives. I played with that and was able to get ACT to recognize the alias mapped drive. I thought I was out of the woods, but then I received a new error message that the SQL database service was not started. (I know it's loaded). So the Restore did not work. I then decided to try creating a new database from scratch. I got a new error message, Object reference not set to an instance of an object. At this point, I'm quitting. :-(

I have decided to pay Marketcircle to convert my current ACT database to a Daylite database. And, after 19 years of being an ACT user, I am giving up. Too many issues. Too much overhead to run the program.

Laurie Webster

Platinum Elite Contributor

Laurie,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. If you are getting a message that the SQL Server is not started, it's a simple matter to verify this and then start the service. Please see this Knowledgebase article for instructions:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2821...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Super Contributor

Too bad you had to throw it in.

I'm sure an ACC would have been able to get you up w/o a problem.

Maybe someday, if the Mac's marketshare in the business world continue to climb, we'll have more software tools that run equally well on both the Mac and the PC...

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your kind words.

ACT just has too much overhead. It was really apparent on the Mac. 

I understand that Apple Mac doesn't have a large enough installed base for it's own ACT version. I'll probably be happy with DayLite since it has the key aspects I love with ACT.

Laurie

Really?  I've spent all this money on ACT 2012, Parallels 8, and a windows operating system so I could use ACT on my Macbook Pro......... and now I can't use any of it because of the error "you are attempting to restore to a non-local drive".  Someone please help - this can't be true!!!